Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

There is a programme on TV now and it is heart rending to watch.

Yes, I agree. I've only read page one of the thread, but I can imagine where it is now, I'll read the rest tomorrow. That young man sat screaming by the door almost brought a tear to eyes of my emotionless self. The poor lad looked in agony :( The two female siblings had beautiful smiles, in their ignorance. They probably have the same to come.

I watched it with my housemate who was saying, (when the mother was saying that it was God, not genetics) that 'how can someone be so naive?' Easy really. Little education.

My god, the imam in the C4 programme would be an excellent candidate for the ignorance is bliss brigade.

Also agree. My goodness!

You know what I saw? Hatred in his eyes, that someone (and also a woman) was questioning him. :|

Yes, I agree. I've only read page one of the thread, but I can imagine where it is now, I'll read the rest tomorrow. That young man sat screaming by the door almost brought a tear to eyes of my emotionless self. The poor lad looked in agony :( The two female siblings had beautiful smiles, in their ignorance. They probably have the same to come.

I watched it with my housemate who was saying, (when the mother was saying that it was God, not genetics) that 'how can someone be so naive?' Easy really. Little education.

Also agree. My goodness!

You know what I saw? Hatred in his eyes, that someone (and also a woman) was questioning him. :|

i totally agree with you, on all the points you made.

I am shocked by some posters attitudes In this thread about people with varying disabilities. A certain Adolf Hitler and various other dictators throughout history had similar views on disabled people and how they are a "burden" on society.

Disability has been around for thousands of years, it's a part of human diversity that will never stop, no matter how much medical science advances disability in humans will always exist.

In the UK we have systems in place such as the NHS & Social care services which help disabled people live as "normal" lives as they possibly can. This is what sets us aside from other places.

I am shocked by some posters attitudes In this thread about people with varying disabilities. A certain Adolf Hitler and various other dictators throughout history had similar views on disabled people and how they are a "burden" on society.

Disability has been around for thousands of years, it's a part of human diversity that will never stop, no matter how much medical science advances disability in humans will always exist.

In the UK we have systems in place such as the NHS & Social care services which help disabled people live as "normal" lives as they possibly can. This is what sets us aside from other places.

Well said. :thumbsup:

Infant mortality used to be much higher than it is today and medical science hasn't always been around to prolong life so the chance of disabled babies dying at birth or having a short life span was much higher than it is today. Also many many disabled people were locked away. Even in 1958 my mum was told to have me institutionalised as I was born with spinal scoliosis. The doctor said I would be a vegetable. Having to deal with disabled children surviving into adulthood is a relatively new 'problem'.

I may be naive but I wonder how many genetically deformed babies born in Pakistan die at birth or soon after due to the lack of medical intervention and lack of awareness of genetics. I was surprised to hear the mum of the three children practically blame doctors' treatment for causing the problems.

Infant mortality used to be much higher than it is today and medical science hasn't always been around to prolong life so the chance of disabled babies dying at birth or having a short life span was much higher than it is today. Also many many disabled people were locked away. Even in 1958 my mum was told to have me institutionalised as I was born with spinal scoliosis. The doctor said I would be a vegetable. Having to deal with disabled children surviving into adulthood is a relatively new 'problem'.

I may be naive but I wonder how many genetically deformed babies born in Pakistan die at birth or soon after due to the lack of medical intervention and lack of awareness of genetics. I was surprised to hear the mum of the three children practically blame doctors' treatment for causing the problems.

Locking people away in institutions is a practise that is extremely rare now, although this has only come about in the late 1980's. A lot of people in other countries may die at a younger age because of the quality of the available health care.

This doesn't mean that in the UK we should let this happen when people have access to

high quality health care.

Lots of people with disabilities, even people with the most severe disabilities go on to live long and fulfilling lives. Nobody has a right to deny them this.

That young man sat screaming by the door almost brought a tear to eyes of my emotionless self. The poor lad looked in agony

I don't think they should have had that at the begining of the program, I bet it made lots of people turn it off, I nearly did, it was horrible,

Archived