Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Physical and mental disability isn't the only debilitating condition within our society.

As many with disabilities have proved, disability isn't necessarily a debilitating condition, there are plenty of disabled people living relatively normal lives, supporting themselves and/or contributing in meaningful ways to both their community and to society, whilst there others who are perfectly able bodied who find it difficult to assert themselves to achieve either.

Where shall we start?

So how would you describe relationships where cousins marry each other Grahame? What was the familial relationship between Jacob and his wife?

Ps: A relationship between someone and their neighbour or pet dog isn't an incestuous one by the way, Leviticus is quite clear, as auto pointed out, who it is not permissible to have relationships with, first cousins wasn't amongst them, if it was Jacob would have been in a whole heap of trouble.

The fact neighbours are included goes to show how strict the laws were. Today we only draw the line at young children while society seems to turn a blind eye to the rest, which only goes to show what an immoral society we live in, and is no reason to recommend sex outside of marriage just because others do it. The same applies in the example you give and just because one person did it does not mean everyone should do it.

That aside, all it means is that if marriages between cousins are not incestuous and therefore lawful as indeed smoking is lawful, it does not mean that it is recommended. I am only aware of two or thee such marriages in the whole of the Bible. They are certainly the exception to the rule and perhaps that should be our example today rather than it being the norm?

Marriage of Cousins

Despite the long list of degrees of forbidden relationship, you can marry a cousin (courtesy of Henry VIII who changed the law to marry his cousin!). However, it would be sensible for you both to consult your GP to ensure that there are no factors in your family's health records that would make your decision to have children inadvisable on medical grounds.

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

And in some countries you can be forced to marry a goat.

Marriage of Cousins

Despite the long list of degrees of forbidden relationship, you can marry a cousin (courtesy of Henry VIII who changed the law to marry his cousin!). However, it would be sensible for you both to consult your GP to ensure that there are no factors in your family's health records that would make your decision to have children inadvisable on medical grounds.

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

..and of course Queen Victoria followed suit!

But I'd agree with that advice, it would be daft to be reckless getting married to a cousin without considering all the relevant risk factors.

The fact neighbours are included goes to show how strict the laws were.
As strict as they were, they didn't include marriages between 1st cousins.

Today we only draw the line at young children while society seems to turn a blind eye to the rest, which only goes to show what an immoral society we live in, and is no reason to recommend sex outside of marriage just because others do it. The same applies in the example you give and just because one person did it does not mean everyone should do it.

I agree, but that 'one person' wasn't any old Tom, Dick or Harry-it was Jacob, the forefather of the Tribes of Israel.

That aside, all it means is that if marriages between cousins are not incestuous and therefore lawful as indeed smoking is lawful, it does not mean that it is recommended. I am only aware of two or thee such marriages in the whole of the Bible. They are certainly the exception to the rule and perhaps that should be our example today rather than it being the norm?

I totally agree, but that's a long way off calling for prohibition, which appears to be your position.

As strict as they were, they didn't include marriages between 1st cousins.

I agree, but that 'one person' wasn't any old Tom, Dick or Harry-it was Jacob, the forefather of the Tribes of Israel.

I totally agree, but that's a long way off calling for prohibition, which appears to be your position.

These laws were NOT about marriage.

When it comes to marriage I would rather not take the risk, it could ruin mine and my wife's life and the lives of our children, even the healthy children would suffer due to family circumstances.

Who would want to wish a multitude of problems on those nearest and dearest to you?

Archived