Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Each to their own, its their choice.

Does Islam allow abortion?

Why marry your cousin and maybe cause problems for yourself, and perhaps worse, cause problems for future generations who don't know about the inbreeding and end up with a genetic defect that affects your descendants?

You aren't doing them any favours are you?

You seem to be able to answer most other queries about Islam, grahame, so why not this one?

I'll answer it for you, shall I?

The Qur'an says don't destroy a foetus just for the sake of it (EG if it's "inconvenient").. Same as it says "don't allow a girl-child to be killed because it's a girl, rather, you should rejoice that God has given you a child")

Most Madhabs (schools) permit termination of a pregnancy if there's a risk to the life of the mother or that the foetus has a condition which is "incompatible with life".

I think that's a realistic view. It acknowledges that there are situations whereby having to opt for termination is a "Necessary evil". That it's something that is something that a pregnant mother may not actually want to chose, but that it may have to be chosen, due to certain circumstances.

Have you tried caring for a disabled or handicapped person? I haven't personally but I have worked in enough day centres to understand some of the problems. Carers deserve a medal.

I have to say that I don't see my disability as a burden. Nor do I see the disabilities of my sister and my nephews as a burden.

I would actually say that my nephews have enriched my life, by being in it. I adore them, love them to bits. I'm also incredibly proud of my sister.

We all have our burdens to carry Graham, but why should we(as a society) discriminate against disability resulting from first cousins marrying?

If you personally consider it morally unacceptable for first cousins to marry, then you're entitled to that opinion, why not just say so. Otherwise, I fail to see what you find wrong with it.

I would not be without my nephews, Danot. Of course, like anyone, I would prefer that they had not got the disabilities that they have, but they have, and there's nothing that can be done about it now... Neither of their conditions could have been anticipated, nor could they be detected by pre-natal scanning... The only thing we can do is ensure that they have a fulfilled and happy life, and that they are pain-free, and that they are encouraged to achieve everything within their scope. They love, and give love in return. You can't say fairer than that...

I have to say that I don't see my disability as a burden. Nor do I see the disabilities of my sister and my nephews as a burden.

I would actually say that my nephews have enriched my life, by being in it. I adore them, love them to bits. I'm also incredibly proud of my sister.

I would not be without my nephews, Danot. Of course, like anyone, I would prefer that they had not got the disabilities that they have, but they have, and there's nothing that can be done about it now... Neither of their conditions could have been anticipated, nor could they be detected by pre-natal scanning... The only thing we can do is ensure that they have a fulfilled and happy life, and that they are pain-free, and that they are encouraged to achieve everything within their scope. They love, and give love in return. You can't say fairer than that...

I totally agree with you PT. Oh dear.. I suspect I have now alienated the :-ABEG (able-bodied elitist group);)

Wouldn't that apply to anyone that might run the risk of passing on their defective genes?.

Until the gene is passed on, will we actually know that we have a defective gene? We only tend to check when we have a family member affected by these types of conditions, don't we? We don't tend to test as a matter of course...

My friends who had the child with CF only knew about them both carrying the CF gene when their son was born. This pre-warned them and enabled them to test the child my friend was pregnant with (which they sadly lost) and be prepared for the potential for having a second child with CF.

The link to the defective gene that caused my sister's autism was only discovered in 1991/2 which was a bit late for her son who was born with the same form of Autism in 1989... The test was only discovered after he was born.

Even if we aren't carriers of a defective gene, there is the potential for the gene to "go wonky" (mutate) during the development/ conception of the child.

so should we use up vital health resources screening every child?

Until the gene is passed on, will we actually know that we have a defective gene? We only tend to check when we have a family member affected by these types of conditions, don't we? We don't tend to test as a matter of course...

My friends who had the child with CF only knew about them both carrying the CF gene when their son was born. This pre-warned them and enabled them to test the child my friend was pregnant with (which they sadly lost) and be prepared for the potential for having a second child with CF.

The link to the defective gene that caused my sister's autism was only discovered in 1991/2 which was a bit late for her son who was born with the same form of Autism in 1989... The test was only discovered after he was born.

Even if we aren't carriers of a defective gene, there is the potential for the gene to "go wonky" (mutate) during the development/ conception of the child.

How would you know when the gene is passed on? Would that be when someone has autism?

How would you know when the gene is passed on? Would that be when someone has autism?

you didn't read my comments properly, then?

I said :-

the gene is passed on, will we actually know that we have a defective gene? We only tend to check when we have a family member affected by these types of conditions, don't we? We don't tend to test as a matter of course...

I'm in agreement with you on this PT.

What I meant by "passing on defective genes" was, if someone living with a disability caused by a genetic disorder decided to try for children, wouldn't they be running the same risk(from a medical not ethical stand point)as first cousins who do the same?.

I'm in agreement with you on this PT.

What I meant by "passing on defective genes" was, if someone living with a disability caused by a genetic disorder decided to try for children, wouldn't they be running the same risk(from a medical not ethical stand point)as first cousins who do the same?.

I presume they would, danot... which is why, I suppose, foetal screening would be so important. (or in the case of IVF, Pre implantation diagnosis, (I believe it's called) where the cells are tested, and any affected foetus need not be implanted.

I suppose these things could take us to a point where our reach outstretched our grasp, and that we could be moving into the unsavoury side of eugenics, and that we could, as I referred above, move into the territory of deciding that a life is a "Life unworthy of life", which

Archived