Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

when you run a business, even a small one you assume the rights and responsibilities of running a business, when these conflict with your rights as an individual the business rights win

you can always reassume these individual rights by stopping being a business

but I have to admit I'm not sure where you are going with this point, it seems to have little to do with whether it is time to ban first cousin marriage or not

when you run a business, even a small one you assume the rights and responsibilities of running a business, when these conflict with your rights as an individual the business rights win

you can always reassume these individual rights by stopping being a business

but I have to admit I'm not sure where you are going with this point, it seems to have little to do with whether it is time to ban first cousin marriage or not

The state, and I used the NHS as an example, have a benevolent interest in the nations health and if they did an objective survey that showed marriage between cousins could have dire consequences for the nations health, then I would hope the government would be advised and take the appropriate measures for this (if proven) ill advised practise.

While recognising the positive benefits of genuine government involvement in the welfare of it's people I fail to see how government interference in a privately run business is beneficial and can only imo fan the flames of discontent fuelled by a minority of people who insist on the right to stay the night in a B&B where they are not welcome.

On the one hand we can perhaps see positive health benefits which the government are not attending to while they vigilantly use a sledgehammer so people can have their tiny little way like spoiled children so that they get their so-called rights while the owners feelings are completely disregarded. If it were a large corporation I could understand but not a small business venture and I am led to understand there is a distinction between to two.

In other words government involvement should improve the quality of life for people generally rather than favouring one small section whose health and welfare is not affected either way. To my mind, that is bad government.

The state, and I used the NHS as an example, have a benevolent interest in the nations health and if they did an objective survey that showed marriage between cousins could have dire consequences for the nations health, then I would hope the government would be advised and take the appropriate measures for this (if proven) ill advised practise.

But there are other health issues that have far more social and financial implications on society than the relatively small risk of problems with cousins marrying.

What do you think the consequences on fiscal expenditure and longevity are of alcohol, smoking and obesity? Yet it isn't illegal to drink, smoke or eat.

But there are other health issues that have far more social and financial implications on society than the relatively small risk of problems with cousins marrying.

What do you think the consequences on fiscal expenditure and longevity are of alcohol, smoking and obesity? Yet it isn't illegal to drink, smoke or eat.

True and they need sorting.

All I am saying is that people need to get their priorities in order so that the issues presented in that program cease to be a problem.

Please don't lets blur the issue like you are doing here.

True and they need sorting.

All I am saying is that people need to get their priorities in order so that the mentally and physically handicapped people I saw in that program should be entitled to every bit of help that can be offered them and please don't lets blur the issue like you are doing here.

That's fine, but I'm not clear whether you're supporting a ban on first cousin marriages or just advising caution? If the latter then I'm in agreement with you.

By the way, I'll not blur the issue by talking about the rights of B&B owners and who they can legitimately refuse to accommodate ;)

Archived