Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Do those doctors concerns extend to the inherent risks associated with older mothers and hereditary illnesses.

Oh my goodness YES!!! We're always talking about these things.

The passing on of serious genetic traits - exacerbated by developments in medical technology - is of serious concern.

YOU don't have to accept everything. YOU don't have to accept anything.

YOU have the freedom to decide to do or say what ever YOU want. I haven't disputed that.

Discrimination is there for YOU to abuse... if you wish. Providing YOU are prepared to suffer the consequences.

I DO have to accept everything, and i can NOT discriminate, its the law!! the consequences will be me having my collar felt by the police.

I DO have to accept everything, and i can NOT discriminate, its the law!! the consequences will be me having my collar felt by the police.

That's what danot said, you can do anything you like, provided you're prepared to accept the consequences. These rules apply to everyone though, not just you.

Oh my goodness YES!!! We're always talking about these things.

The passing on of serious genetic traits - exacerbated by developments in medical technology - is of serious concern.

..but there's been little serious consideration given to banning older women having children or individuals with hereditary diseases, it only appears to have become a hot potato now it involves people of an alien culture.

Do those doctors concerns extend to the inherent risks associated with older mothers and hereditary illnesses.

There are also a number of conditions associated with older fathers, which you have omitted to mention, in your attempt to derail yet another thread, so I shall do it for you! Perhaps compulsory vasectomies should be performed on all men at the age of 40?

..but there's been little serious consideration given to banning older women having children or individuals with hereditary diseases, it only appears to have become a hot potato now it involves people of an alien culture.

Nonsense, for years there has been a media storm about the perils of leaving motherhood too late, the inherent risks and declining fertility.

Getting back on topic, the doctors at my place are desperately weary of having to deal with the massive influx of children with consanguineous birth related issues.

It's really a huge problem in the uk.

And yes, you don't have to look far to see the vast number of problems inbreeding causes

Same with pedigree pets.

What do you think the "nanny" state should do Karis?

Thanks for providing the link - I read an interesting article about this but it was in a magazine which is not available online. Said article concurs with the information provided in the link. At least women are naturally deselected from procreating at an older age with the menopause, yet men aren't and are continuing to have children at an older age or go on to have second families.

Digressing from older parents and the associated risks ;), I read somewhere that birth defects in the Amish community are also higher than average due to the narrow gene pool from which they procreate.

Archived