Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Originally Posted by Grahame viewpost.gif

I have just been watching a nature program on BBC2, it is still on, and even the female gorillas change groups to avoid the problems we are talking about from what i understand of grahame s post is simple even an animal can understand that to avoid problems with their offspring things need to change :thumbsup: the only one refering this to pakistani s and other groups is you :huh: i wonder why :hihi:

The link in the OP mentions Pakistanis :)

sorry the link didnt work for me so didnt see it :rolleyes: so did the narrator in the programme about gorillas refer them to pakistani s ?

I've no idea, but the thread is about banning first cousin marriages, as far as I know gorillas don't get 'married' ;)

Originally Posted by Grahame viewpost.gif

I have just been watching a nature program on BBC2, it is still on, and even the female gorillas change groups to avoid the problems we are talking about from what i understand of grahame s post is simple even an animal can understand that to avoid problems with their offspring things need to change :thumbsup:the only one refering this to pakistani s and other groups is you :huh: i wonder why :hihi:

you should be on the stage with material like that.

so an animal has an understanding of the risks of interbreeding, does it?

Let's look at dogs shall we?

A dog, when confronted with a bitch in season, isn't going to stop and think "Whoah, this is my half-sister, or sister - I'd best not."

o an animal has an understanding of the risks of interbreeding, does it? Let's look at dogs shall we?

A dog, when confronted with a bitch in season, isn't going to stop and think "Whoah, this is my half-sister, or sister - I'd best not."

It's quite an interesting point Grahame makes though. I always thought that gorillas were self aware, and also very near to us in physical make-up so it could be that they have some sort of instinctive 'taboo' when it comes to reproduction?

The lower animals don't have the complex financial, diplomatic and religious aspects to think about that perhaps influences some cultures to intermarry?

I'm not prepared to post openly on the subject as people here are too quick to jump to the attack.

But I will send you a PM on the subject :)

Yes, please do PM me. It's hard to gauge the full extent of the problem based on one documentary and a handful of news reports.

Thanks.

It might not be wise healthwise, but it can't be incest, can it? Or it wouldn't be legal :suspect:

It is incest, as it's sexual relations with someone who you are related to... However, in England it's the only legal form of incest - The Scots don't allow it and never have done, as with many countries who frown on all forms of incest... In reality, most people would find having sex with a relative a bit perverse, so there won't be too many people running into incestuous relationships... I did see the documentary, and was floored by a Sheffield man who seemed to see the case against incest being an example of the witch hunt against islam??? I couldn't believe that he could have been born and raised in a country where incest is a huge taboo, and he didn't even know! Where has he been living? In a box???

Archived