Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

It is incest, as it's sexual relations with someone who you are related to... However, in England it's the only legal form of incest - The Scots don't allow it and never have done, as with many countries who frown on all forms of incest... In reality, most people would find having sex with a relative a bit perverse, so there won't be too many people running into incestuous relationships... I did see the documentary, and was floored by a Sheffield man who seemed to see the case against incest being an example of the witch hunt against islam??? I couldn't believe that he could have been born and raised in a country where incest is a huge taboo, and he didn't even know! Where has he been living? In a box???

I don't believe it is incest, as it's not, IMO close enough of a kinship.

Are you sure? :confused:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

It doesn't say anything about Scotland having a different rule, except for great grandparents or children?

thanks for the linky, Ruby.

from that list:-

Marriage of Cousins

Despite the long list of degrees of forbidden relationship, you can marry a cousin (courtesy of Henry VIII who changed the law to marry his cousin!). However, it would be sensible for you both to consult your GP to ensure that there are no factors in your family's health records that would make your decision to have children inadvisable on medical grounds.

Are you sure? :confused:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

It doesn't say anything about Scotland having a different rule, except for great grandparents or children?

Despite the long list of degrees of forbidden relationship, you can marry a cousin (courtesy of Henry VIII who changed the law to marry his cousin!).

So presumably before this it was illegal.

So presumably before this it was illegal.

He said it was illegal in Scotland now, and always has been? That's what I was questioning.

If so, what happens in anyone who's married to their cousin wants to go and live there? Would it be the same as someone married to multiple spouses, winked at provided it happened before they went to Scotland?

I think he's wrong, but am open to argument.

He said it was illegal in Scotland now, and always has been? That's what I was questioning.

If so, what happens in anyone who's married to their cousin wants to go and live there? Would it be the same as someone married to multiple spouses, winked at provided it happened before they went to Scotland?

I think he's wrong, but am open to argument.

Then perhaps it's down to this,

Common-law marriages were abolished in England and Wales by the Marriage Act 1753. The Act required marriages to be performed by a priest of the Church of England – unless the participants in the marriage were Jews or Quakers. The Act applied to Ireland after the Act of Union 1800, but the requirement for a valid marriage to be performed by a Church of England priest created special problems in predominantly Roman Catholic Ireland. The law did not provide an exception. The Act did not apply to Scotland because by the Acts of Union 1707 Scotland retained its own legal system. To get around the requirements of the Marriage Act, such as minimum-age requirements, couples would go to Gretna Green, in southern Scotland, to get married under Scots law.

You don't remember the story of the couple who were seeing each other and found out they were brother and sister as they had been adopted when youngsters, it was on the news a while ago?

Read the link= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282575/Couple-discover-siblings-Child-courts-blamed-strangers-fall-love-son--half-brother-sister.html

Genetic sexual attraction is a known phenomenon and whilst the situation highlighted in your link is incredibly rare, it is nonetheless random rather than socially engineered. It is for this reason that sperm donors' sperm is only used for a restricted number of inseminations, one or two (at most I believe to different women) in the locality and the rest is used elsewhere, precisely to minimise this happening. Formal adoption is also a much more open process than it has hitherto been with adoptees and adoptive parents being given full access to familial histories and situations where they are known.

I'm sure that there are instances where half siblings, unaware of their shared parentage, meet or know one another if the figure of between 10 and 20% of children are not the biological offspring of the man who believes to be their father, is in fact true. The only way to prevent random cases like this happening would be to introduce mandatory DNA testing for everyone prior to conception or during the first trimester of pregnancy.

• 2 weeks later...
you should be on the stage with material like that.

so an animal has an understanding of the risks of interbreeding, does it?

Let's look at dogs shall we?

A dog, when confronted with a bitch in season, isn't going to stop and think "Whoah, this is my half-sister, or sister - I'd best not."

totally agree and i could be earning money instead of doing it on here and not getting paid for it :hihi:.so you can see how an animal has no understanding of interbreeding yet you cant see how how people marrying family dont either :huh:

Archived