Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Did I say that you weren't blood-related? I'm not rebutting that. I said it wasn't perverted and it wasn't incest, in answer to other posters who said it was, using the example that you might not even know them prior to, so it's not perverted and it's not illegal so it's not incest.

Then I was confused with how it was written.

I agree that it is not perverted. I actually, in a way, don't think it is perverted to fancy a sibling. We are often unwittingly attracted to certain people. Sometimes it is going to be a sibling. HOWEVER....that is not to say that it is right to act on one's desires! Not in the least. And, unlike with first cousins, sibling unions are incest. Who knows. Maybe first cousin unions will be soon, too.

It's this type of prejudice behind the reason I moved to Shelbyville.

Shelbyville was founded by Shelbyville Manhattan in 1796, who held the belief that people should be allowed to marry their cousins, because "they're so attractive"—a practice disallowed by fellow explorer and founder of Springfield, Jebediah Springfield.

Then I was confused with how it was written.

I agree that it is not perverted. I actually, in a way, don't think it is perverted to fancy a sibling. We are often unwittingly attracted to certain people. Sometimes it is going to be a sibling. HOWEVER....that is not to say that it is right to act on one's desires! Not in the least. And, unlike with first cousins, sibling unions are incest. Who knows. Maybe first cousin unions will be soon, too.

Sorry, love, I'm not following your line here at all, or why you've chosen me to argue about it with. End of. ok? :confused:

At age 25, a woman has about a 1-in-1, 250 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome; at age 30, a 1-in-1,000 chance; at age 35, a 1-in-400 chance; at age 40, a 1-in-100 chance; and at 45, a 1-in-30 chance.

The risk of defect in cousins is double that of non cousins.

The risk of defect wrt age trebles at 35 when compared to a 25 year old. Somewhere between 30-35 is where is doubles relative to a 25 year old.

Given the choice between impregnating a 25 year old relative and a 35 year old non-relative, the sensible thing to do to reduce the possible risk of birth defect would be to keep it in the family!

In the UK people are waiting longer to have children, were practising backwards eugenics!

Archived