Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

Sorry, love, I'm not following your line here at all, or why you've chosen me to argue about it with. End of. ok? :confused:

Not arguing at all. I misread your initial post. The rest of my post was unrelated to yours. It was an additional comment to the thread in general.

I was against cousins breeding until I saw the evidence, I was trying to find evidence to show how dangerous it was, and when compared to age, its not really dangerous at all.

I'd be all for encouraging people to have children before 30. It would be good for the health of the nation and our economy, disabled people are a burden to the state.

Society now frowns upon people having children at a young age, when really it should be encouraged and older woman frowned on for leaving it too late!

To be honest, I'm not keen on first cousin marriages, but I'd tackle it through education rather than legislation, and would approach the older parent issue in the same way.

To be honest, I'm not keen on first cousin marriages, but I'd tackle it through education rather than legislation, and would approach the older parent issue in the same way.
What about first cousins once or twice removed? Or second cousins, or third cousins? How far down the line are people thinking we should set the bar?

In this country, second cousins can't inherit an intestate estate, so maybe that's far enough removed for health purposes? Although as far as the incest thing, I've got second and third cousins that were brought up as close to me as my own siblings and it would feel as incestuous to me as marrying my brother. Although perfectly legal.

What a strange view. There are a number of people who have scans and tests who find out that there is some disability with their child but still go on to have that child and look after it - they prefer to think of that child as someone special - a gift - not some terrible crime.

My nephew's child is autistic - were they comitting an abusive act by allowing their son to be born?

I will answer you in the same way you answered me.

What a strange thing to do.

This is not an issue that should be decided on the basis of financial considerations.

I disagree. The NHS has to take into consideration finances.

The official NHS drugs adviser has imposed a threshold of £30,000 for an added year of life provided by a treatment.

In some respects, that figure is way too high!

It is more than the average wage, how can it be cost effective.

We spend too much on prisoners too.

Investing in healthy, law abiding people would make much more sense for the future health of our society.

Why the hell does a prisoner get 3 free meals a day, when an unemployed person can't afford to eat properly? It's madness.

I was against cousins breeding until I saw the evidence, I was trying to find evidence to show how dangerous it was, and when compared to age, its not really dangerous at all.

I'd be all for encouraging people to have children before 30. It would be good for the health of the nation and our economy, disabled people are a burden to the state.

Society now frowns upon people having children at a young age, when really it should be encouraged and older woman frowned on for leaving it too late!

I have never heard of disabled people taking up unncessary resources if anything it is the able bodied people that we hear about that take the absolute michael. Maybe we should put a cap on those who should have children under the age of 25.

No, I disagree disabled people are not a burden to our society.

What about first cousins once or twice removed? Or second cousins, or third cousins? How far down the line are people thinking we should set the bar?

In this country, second cousins can't inherit an intestate estate, so maybe that's far enough removed for health purposes? Although as far as the incest thing, I've got second and third cousins that were brought up as close to me as my own siblings and it would feel as incestuous to me as marrying my brother. Although perfectly legal.

Marrying your second cousin may still be morally peculiar, but at least the health risks associated with first cousin marriages are significantly reduced.

Archived