Is it time to ban first cousin marriage

should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. should we a a nation ban first cousin marriage?

trip, trap indeed, all the way across the bridge,. and I agree totally with you, donkey...

I love my sister, and my nephews, absolutely to pieces! I adore them. Of course, given the choice, I'd far prefer they were not disabled, but I would not wish them away for the world. and they have happy, fulfilled lives, which are pain-free. I have no problem with that, nor with my friends' children who have learning or physical disabilities. So long as they achieve everything within their potential, and are encouraged to do so, what's the problem? they are loved, and give love in return, and I certainly consider my life enriched by having them in it!!

were the childrens parents related?

due to high risk of birth defects

Yet on another thread you think it best for a woman to have a child in her 40s, opposed to in her teens.

A woman in her 40s is far more likely to give birth to a child with birth defects than 2 cousins of younger age.

If the amount of birth defects caused by cousins breeding is enough for you to want it banned, then surely you'd want all women over 33 to be banned from having children too?

Yet on another thread you think it best for a woman to have a child in her 40s, opposed to in her teens.

A woman in her 40s is far more likely to give birth to a child with birth defects than 2 cousins of younger age.

If the amount of birth defects caused by cousins breeding is enough for you to want it banned, then surely you'd want all women over 33 to be banned from having children too?

you misquote me, the custom of two first cousins marrying, then there kids doing the same then theres then theres etc etc etc etc etc is simple cruelty to each new generation of children.

given the choice of a child being born to a child of teenage years or a woman in her 40s id vote woman in her 40s.

You would want to stop people having children at the healthiest time for them to do so???

Able bodied people are the people who fund the state!

Of course the disabled are a burden, lifelong disability benefits and healthcare, very unlikely to work/pay tax.

To you maybe but many would disagree. I am not sure what gives you the right on someones quality of life. What you may consider to be a "burden" :roll: they consider it to be their life.

What about the unemployed, alcoholics & drug addicts...the list is endless. They would be on my list of what effects the health service & the economy not disabled people. This may come as a surprise to you but many disabled people do work & contribute to society. Thats a shocker eh.

To you maybe but many would disagree. I am not sure what gives you the right on someones quality of life. What you may consider to be a "burden" :roll: they consider it to be their life.

What about the unemployed, alcoholics & drug addicts...the list is endless. They would be on my list of what effects the health service & the economy not disabled people. This may come as a surprise to you but many disabled people do work & contribute to society. Thats a shocker eh.

I agree. On to your list I'd add all those people who produce children who take no responsibility for their welfare, and worse abuse and neglect them. The cost of those children to society is enormous, and not just in financial terms.

I also think its time to encourage people who have settled in the UK to find partners here. This would effectively widen the gene pool more than continuing with the custom of arranged marriages from the country their parents and grandparents left behind.

Archived