Minimum wage vs pension & benefits levels

I just cannot believe this is happening ( people jealous) of what pensioners get after all the pubiicity about old people not putting thier heating on so that they can afford to eat and some old people live in homes that are realy cold and not very well insulated so the costs of eating can soar (my daughter works at a paypoint and she says that some old people are putting about £50 per week on thier energy cards/keys)

people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones!

and what goes around comes around !

I just cannot believe this is happening ( people jealous) of what pensioners get after all the pubiicity about old people not putting thier heating on so that they can afford to eat and some old people live in homes that are realy cold and not very well insulated so the costs of eating can soar (my daughter works at a paypoint and she says that some old people are putting about £50 per week on thier energy cards/keys)

people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones!

and what goes around comes around !

That seems very high! We like to keep our house warm - I'm retired and my OH is semi-retired, so we pay the same amount all year - that way there are no scary big bills in the winter. It costs us more like £30 a week for both gas and electric and we live in a three bedroomed house. Perhaps they don't budget for it during the warmer months? And if they are using prepayment key meters, they are nearly always paying a higher unit price than if they had a credit meter.

I understand about poor insulation, but there are free installations of cavity wall and loft insulation - anyone on benefits/low income can apply. A single person on full pension credit gets around £130 a week plus housing and council tax benefits. I think that's a pretty decent amount to live on.

Archived