Dear Forum.. Do I Have Body Dismorphic Disorder?

Dear Forum...

For the last few years I have been constantly on a diet but nothing ever works - in fact it feels like I actually put on weight (and no, its not muscle mass). I wouldn't say I am obese but I am quite small and I think it would really benefit me confidence wise and health wise just to up to a stone but seem to really struggle.

Everybody says I have nothing to worry about including my family and my partner but I know they're just being polite and I bet when he is honest my partner would rather me be the weight I was when we met (about a stone lighter, but still not skinny with curves in the right places). When I look in the mirror all I see is a discusting fat whale.

Ideally i'd like to be about 9 stone and at the moment I am pushing 10 - but i'm only small so it shows. I am the biggest out of all of my social group and I am so self concious when I have my arms and legs out or if I wear a fitted dress - I feel like everybody is looking at me even though I know i'm not hugely overweight!

The thing that makes me think that I am not healthy is that I feel really guilty when I eat some foods. I try to eat fairly healthily and I get excercise two or three times a week for about an hour (but nothing too intense, health problems stop me doing intense excercise, just walking, swimming etc) so I should be able to have a treat every now and then, but if I eat say a bag of crisps, or a sandwich with cheese in, I feel really guilty about it for the next couple of days- even if I have eaten well in the few days running up to it.

As you can tell I really do have some issues about food - im not a binge eater and I don't eat rubbish all the time, but when I do I feel awful. I actually sometimes don't want to leave the house because i'm having a "fat" day and people will look at me. It's even worse because out of all my friends I eat the least, and they eat absolutely loads, but stay skinny. I just look at chips and put on weight.

Any advice about how to get over my body confidence issues would be hugely appreciated, also any tips as to loose this horrible weight would be really helpful because I am obviously doing something wrong and it is really really starting to bother me.

Dear Forum...

Any advice about how to get over my body confidence issues would be hugely appreciated, also any tips as to loose this horrible weight would be really helpful because I am obviously doing something wrong and it is really really starting to bother me.

You are 10 stone and you want to be 9 stone, not a lot is it, I think you are going to have to give more details like, age, height and BM index.

PS

Ditch your partner if you feel he would see a few extra pounds as a problem.

You are 10 stone and you want to be 9 stone, not a lot is it, I think you are going to have to give more details like, age, height and BM index.

PS

:huh: Bang goes 80% of the exercise.

PS

Why? The OP's said her partner thinks she looks fine as she is.

To the OP - I think you need some help. The way that you say you 'know' your partner and family are lying when they say you look fine and your use of the words 'horrible' and 'disgusting' suggests to me that this is more than just a usual 'I feel a bit heavy' stuff that a lot of women have. IT's also worying that some days you feel unable to leave the house.

I'd suggest seeing your GP in the first instance. The services of a psychotherapist might help, but there's a lengthy queue I think. Good luck.

Should have gone to specsaver.

"I bet when he is honest my partner would rather me be the weight I was when we met (about a stone lighter"

The salient point being "I bet", which shows that the OP thinks this, not that he/she does feel this way (the OP states that he/she has said he/she has no issues).

I would say you may have an eating disorder but that you are not dysmorphic

dysmorphics tend to reject perfectly healthy body parts as belonging to someone else rather than worry about weight and size, guilt when eating certain foods is not dysmorphia

however the first step in sorting this out for either condition is to go and see your doctor and tell them what you think is going on as this will help them to help you

--EDIT--

when I said "belonging to someone else", I mean it's foreign to them, they don't identify that part of their body as their own

and they will go to great lengths to remove it or have it removed

Look it's no secret the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. If you do that then you will lose weight.

Don't come on here trying to say you've tried and it isn't working.

You're not the exception to the rule of the rest of humanity.

Do proper excercise every day, get on the cycling machine, get on the treadmill, if you don't want to, don't, but then don't come complaining to the whole of Sheffield that you're still fat.

No one is saying it's easy, if it was everyone would be thin.

You know, it's up to you to do it properly, stop trying to find excuses and just do it.

We can't really tell if you have a Body Dismorphic Disorder unless we actually see a picture of you. Which will probably never happen.

How do you tell simply by looking at a picture of someone whether they have Body Dismorphic Disorder or not? :loopy:

Dr Christian Jessen has recently revealed that he has B.D.D - could you tell simply by looking at him?

To the OP, it might be helpful to talk to your G.P. If you really want to effect some change, it might be that a short, sharp course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is what's needed - and your G.P is the one who can refer you.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Archived