Come on Winter!

I can't stand going to work and coming home from work in the dark. All those evenings when you can't do anything because it's too dark and rainy! That's the worst thing about winter.

Autumn's good though, until the clocks change - new boots and scarves just about make up for putting away the flip flops!

I can't stand going to work and coming home from work in the dark. All those evenings when you can't do anything because it's too dark and rainy! That's the worst thing about winter.

Autumn's good though, until the clocks change - new boots and scarves just about make up for putting away the flip flops!

I LOVE dark mornings and nights :) I love tailored winter coats, beautiful boots, thick tights hats and scarves :)

I LOVE dark mornings and nights :) I love tailored winter coats, beautiful boots, thick tights hats and scarves :)

Couldn't agree more. Summer brings hayfever, neighbours' incessant lawn-mowing and hyperactive screaming kids high on some E-numbered crap from the ice cream van, and idiots taking to the countryside to scorch barbecue-shaped burnt patches into the grass and fling their picnic detritus over as large an area as possible. Roll on winter, when they retreat to their televisions.

Sadly, in this neck of the woods, dank autumns tend to merge miserably with equally limp springs, with hardly a icicle to be found. I can't recall the last time a decent accumulation of snow hung around for more than a few hours.

Give me a cold Winter over a hot Summer, any day.

If you ask me for my three favourite things, they're all Winter related:

1 - the sound of silence that only a layer of snow can bring, and the crunch underfoot when you venture out for the milk.

2 - Looking back over your summer holiday snaps, reminiscing about good times and making plans for next year's holiday.

3 - Gazing starry-eyed into the fire, almost falling asleep only for a large log to roll over slightly and cause a fresh crackle of dry wood.

Mmmm, bring it on!

Stew, soup and casserole

Christmas

Watching little kids walk in snow for the first time

Not having to epilate/ tan/ exfoliate

Wearing cosy clothes

Not being bothered to go out, so snuggling down

Pyjamas and bedsocks

Better television

The thick winter duvet!!

Yes, I'm getting excited now

2 - Looking back over your summer holiday snaps, reminiscing about good times and making plans for next year's holiday.

Let's be honest, a) the snow is generally slush, not crisp. b) holiday snaps suck compared to the real thing, especially when your looking at them back in Britain and c) log fires only exist in country pubs for most people.

Tell you what's the highlight of the year, my summer holiday. Nothing like the hot sun on your skin and a glass of cold wine in your hand!

No over-romanticised winter scene beats it! ;)

Let's be honest, a) the snow is generally slush, not crisp. b) holiday snaps suck compared to the real thing, especially when your looking at them back in Britain and c) log fires only exist in country pubs for most people.

Tell you what's the highlight of the year, my summer holiday. Nothing like the hot sun on your skin and a glass of cold wine in your hand!

No over-romanticised winter scene beats it! ;)

CYNIC!

A - I live in the hills to the west, and we get proper snow that crinkles underfoot

B - Looking forward to holidays is all part of the fun

C - Good excuse to go to country pubs! (and yes, we do have a real fire of our own)

Archived