Help needed to find out about convent on 1901 census

I am trying to find out about a convent that is on the 1901 census, it looks like the address is convent walk, coming under the parish of st silas gilcar, sheffield. I believe my g grandmother was a boarder her age 19. She was annie connell and from ireland. A lot of the boarders were of a similar age which seems a bit old to me to be still a pupil. Anyone any ideas?

I am trying to find out about a convent that is on the 1901 census, it looks like the address is convent walk, coming under the parish of st silas gilcar, sheffield. I believe my g grandmother was a boarder her age 19. She was annie connell and from ireland. A lot of the boarders were of a similar age which seems a bit old to me to be still a pupil. Anyone any ideas?

Pregnant/ single mothers especially if from Ireland- sent over.

It was the "Convent of Notre Dame" that stood on the corner of Convent Walk and Cavendish Street. Here is a 1903 map showing its location. The convent building is long gone (the red circle on this view shows where it was) though Notre Dame High School survives on Fulwood Road (for a long time it has been co-educational).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post, it has been very helpful.

I am stuck again, I have contacted the archivist for Notre Dame in Liverpool asking for info on any school records from that period, but she doesn't have any. Don't know where to look anyone got any ideas?

Archived