Should the FA be floated on the stock exchange?

For all it's faults, the Premier league is a lot fairer than Serie A and La Liga where every club can sell their TV rights individually. At least clubs like Blackpool are getting a big payout from being in the Premier league.

One of the reason the premiership is finding itself full of small clubs, is that the bigger clubs have bankrupted themselves trying to compete and are now mere also-rans. Obviously there is a degree of financial carelessness here, but let’s be frank; how many chairman will turn round and say “we can’t afford to stay in this league, so chances are we will go down”. Very few, because fans are unrealistic and won’t tolerate it. Yet these same flans will bleat about how these charlatans ran their club into the ground after the big financial gamble spectacularly backfires. Money dictates everything in the Premier league, and if you haven’t got it, you almost certainly won’t survive. Being in the Premiership has bought many unrealistically ambitious clubs to their knees. Leeds, Saints, Wednesday, Ipswich, Forest, Palace – all big sides and all treading water, which means the odd minnow will rise to the top occasionally and then be smashed back down again the following year.

If I were a Wednesday fan with high expectations I should be pretty depressed right now. Even if they did by some miracle get back to the Premiership, the years of them coming in the top ten on a modest budget are long long gone. Which leaves one of two options

a) They hope for a sugar daddy to invest billions in them

b) They accept the best they can hope for is to scrap around the relegation places in the top flight

One is unlikely, the other fairly sobering. In short, I’d enjoy being top dog in an average league while you can, rather than a whipping boy in a competition you can never win. Great memories come from winning things, not finishing 16th every year. I have enough back copies of War of the Monster trucks to back that fact up ad infinitum.

One of the reason the premiership is finding itself full of small clubs, is that the bigger clubs have bankrupted themselves trying to compete and are now mere also-rans. Obviously there is a degree of financial carelessness here, but let’s be frank; how many chairman will turn round and say “we can’t afford to stay in this league, so chances are we will go down”. Very few, because fans are unrealistic and won’t tolerate it. Yet these same flans will bleat about how these charlatans ran their club into the ground after the big financial gamble spectacularly backfires. Money dictates everything in the Premier league, and if you haven’t got it, you almost certainly won’t survive. Being in the Premiership has bought many unrealistically ambitious clubs to their knees. Leeds, Saints, Wednesday, Ipswich, Forest, Palace – all big sides and all treading water, which means the odd minnow will rise to the top occasionally and then be smashed back down again the following year.

If I were a Wednesday fan with high expectations I should be pretty depressed right now. Even if they did by some miracle get back to the Premiership, the years of them coming in the top ten on a modest budget are long long gone. Which leaves one of two options

a) They hope for a sugar daddy to invest billions in them

b) They accept the best they can hope for is to scrap around the relegation places in the top flight

One is unlikely, the other fairly sobering. In short, I’d enjoy being top dog in an average league while you can, rather than a whipping boy in a competition you can never win. Great memories come from winning things, not finishing 16th every year. I have enough back copies of War of the Monster trucks to back that fact up ad infinitum.

The situation in Spain isn't much better with both Barcelona and Real Madrid in massive debts, even though Real and Barcelona get more than half of the 520 million euros ($663 million) a year the league generates from broadcasters.

The rest of the league cannot even hope to compete with Real and Barcelona as they are also struggling with crippling debts as they attempted to compete with the top two. Unlike this country, they aren't promised a big cash income from the TV money.

Ha Ha money talks i suppose and that will always be the bottom line , i just think the public should have the chance , of a slice of a very lucrative cake .

Money certainly does talk.

The problem is, that, to me, all it ever says is "goodbye!" lol :hihi:

Archived