Laser eye surgery......

Can I just mention the Sheffield Vision Centre, based at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital, and run by excellent Consultant Mr Mathew Edwards and his team.

The actual laser treatment / surgery is done in Sheffield so no travelling to Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester. They have state of the art equipment, know all the latest developments in eye surgery, (I had refractive lens exchange,) and an excellent aftercare service.

All the profits go to the NHS eye hospital. I get the idea that they are not allowed to advertise in the usual way so many people don't seem to know about them.

I would happily reccommend them.

I totally agree with this. Had my surgery had the vision centre as I only truly trusted the team at the hospital with something as delicate as my eyes. I am so pleased with the results. Would like to add that they offer interest free credit finance and would highly recommend.

Read all about the pros and cons of eye surgery. I had mine done about 2 years ago, then had to have one eye done again last year. Vision is fine but I am suffering from chronic dry eyes for the last year. I haven't had a good nights sleep for a year now. I get up at least every 2-3 hours to put drops in and it feels like somebody has taken razor blades to your eyes. Aftercare has been ok, I am now waiting to be seen by the consultant, to prescribe something different to see if that has any effect.

• 3 weeks later...
Can I just mention the Sheffield Vision Centre, based at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital, and run by excellent Consultant Mr Mathew Edwards and his team.

The actual laser treatment / surgery is done in Sheffield so no travelling to Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester. They have state of the art equipment, know all the latest developments in eye surgery, (I had refractive lens exchange,) and an excellent aftercare service.

All the profits go to the NHS eye hospital. I get the idea that they are not allowed to advertise in the usual way so many people don't seem to know about them.

I would happily reccommend them.

It says 1500 per eye on their site? Is this what you had to pay?

I had mine done a while ago by ultralase, approaching 3 years now. Cost a bit than the prices being quoted here, but I'd recommend it to anyone. There are risks of complications, but the freedom of not having glasses or lenses, particularly if you do a lot of sport is pretty amazing.

I had Lasik (by computer) surgery done at Optical Express in Meadowhall 3 years ago. The price was £1.495 per eye. I got a discount of 10% so I paid £2.700. I know it is a lot of money but it is well worth the money.

After surgery all your future eye care is free so no more eye tests to pay for and if you need any further surgery you don't pay again.

Unfortunately this did happen to me. I had to return 6 months after my initial surgery as my sight deteriorated but due to only being able to have Lasik once I had to have Laser which is much more uncomfortable and I said after that if I had, had Laser the first time I would'nt have had it done a second time.

Often the advertised price at places like Optical Express is low because it applies only to those with a very mild sight defect. Anyone with a higher prescription will need to pay a lot more. £1,500 seems to be about average. In my case, my eyesight was so bad, places like Optical Express said they couldn't do it.

I heard about Sheffield Vision Clinic being at the cutting edge of laser / eye technology and decided to give it a try. I needed Refractive lens exchange because I'm older, and needed a very strong prescription (milk bottle lenses.) I also had a cataract forming which in my case meant I had to have something done sooner or later (on the NHS,) but I decided to do it earlier and have both eyes done with an upgrade ie an optical lens in each eye. The cost was about £6,000 which my darling Dad paid. (He said he wanted me to do something good with his money while he was still alive, rather than after he died...and he's as pleased as I am at the result)

The operation wasn't pleasant, but the results are nothing short of miraculous. All the aftercare is included in the price and any followup treatment also included, (I might need a bit of tweaking in a few months.) And it's all done in Sheffield.

My case was a bit extreem and not typical, but as I said before the profits all go to the eye hospital, so I don't think they'd rip anybody off.

• 9 months later...

I would like to know if there are any Ophthalmic Opticians who have actually had laser surgery themselves or who recommend it? The possible down sides just don't seem worth the risk to me. Dry eyes, frosted vision, poor night vision, plus the chance of the surgery not being a cure for all (least of all because your eyes change shape when you get older, which is why most of us end up needing glasses to read). I'm yet to be convinced. If it goes wrong, there's no spare eyes for a back up.

• 3 weeks later...