Pubs in Sheffield City Centre 1970's

Barnsley1. Good manager Mick Lee, well versed in the pub trade.

His mum & dad had The Wellington, at Darnall, then The Hearts of Oak, at Bradway.

His mam wer' a strereo-typical landlady - big, blonde, bejewelled and bossy, when

she needed to be! The wer' never much bother in the pubs she ran.

Nostalgia rulles heh?

Like i said STILL GOING STRONG it has always had a good clientele even more so on home games at the Lane always full of the Blades faithfull :thumbs up: .

Sorry Jack, missed that bit. Good news that, especially that it gets used by Blades fans! Although I'm watching them at the moment and it's like watching paint dry. Come on lads.

Mulberry tavern, I used to work next door at Walsh's so it was a bit too handy! One of the lads from Walsh's went to run it for a while - Brian Titterton(?) anybody any idea what happened to him? Also while on the subject there was a busy little corner pub on a back street behind PCL at the bottom of Arundel gate, anybody remember its name and does it still exist?

I used to go to school with a Brian Titterton (Tits). Anyone know if this one was a Crookes lad ?

• 3 years later...
Mulberry tavern, I used to work next door at Walsh's so it was a bit too handy! One of the lads from Walsh's went to run it for a while - Brian Titterton(?) anybody any idea what happened to him? Also while on the subject there was a busy little corner pub on a back street behind PCL at the bottom of Arundel gate, anybody remember its name and does it still exist?

I "worked" at PCL in the 1970s. Staff would cross the footbridge to go to the Pump (Tetleys) and works used Lord Nelson (Stones). There was also the Truro Tavern (Tennants) and the Matila (Wards) close by. The only one remaining is Nelson.

PCL burned down and the fire station occupies the site (ironic innit).

A few other pubs round there were

Royal Standard ..still going

Montgomery. The roof fell in whilst we were playing juke box one lunchtime.

Red Lion.. still going.

I loved the Truro Tavern. It had a tiny bar about 6 foot across. On one side of the bar top there was a glass case full of pies being cooked by the heat of a light bulb. At the other the landlady cooked chips using a primus stove. They even sold beer. It would be a nice story if the pub had burned down from a chip pan fine. Unfortunately it end up being ploughed in so they could widen St Mary's Gate.

This was all in the days when a typical working lunch was a pub pie and 3 pints of bitter. Not much got done in the afternoons.

Edited by SHYTOT

any one remember the Hermitage on London road in the 80s it was very good on a friday/saturday night

I remember Newcastle playing at Bramall Lane and the Police advised all the pubs to either close or board the front up, the manageress said she would sort the hooligan geordies out and opened as normal.

They wrecked the place.

Me and my mates used to go to The Mulberry first, then onto The Stonehouse and usually finished up in Crazy Daizy, sometimes we would go to Romeo and Juliets but only if we got a bit more dressed up.

I remember the first time i went in The Stonehouse and they had the courtyard with the ceiling that looked like the night sky, i was pretty wobbly when i went in and i thought bl@@dy hell whats in my beer tonight :hihi:

i had some good nights out in the merry england i think it closed about 1973.

---------- Post added 27-06-2014 at 17:46 ----------

it was under the black swan on snig hill.

---------- Post added 27-06-2014 at 19:11 ----------

the dj at the merry england was called frank he worked for the council during the day i remember terry and slim my friend had a crush on slim.