Pubs in Sheffield City Centre 1970's

How far down is the PCL? The only ones I can think of down the Moor is the Pump Tavern? I used to go in the Mulberry 1978 onwards and run accross the road and climb over the barriers in a tight skirt and winkle pickers to go the Claymore and then on to Steelys - happy days :hihi:

My mate decided one friday night, after a few, that he would hurdle the barrier and get the round in bumbles, before we could go round the under pass, he made it over with the first leg but caught the barrier with his back leg. we took him into bumbles sat him in a corner with some ice on his bruised forehead and finished the night off

Mulberry tavern, I used to work next door at Walsh's so it was a bit too handy! One of the lads from Walsh's went to run it for a while - Brian Titterton(?) anybody any idea what happened to him? Also while on the subject there was a busy little corner pub on a back street behind PCL at the bottom of Arundel gate, anybody remember its name and does it still exist?

Sounds like you are describing the LORD NELSON nickname ( FANNY'S ) still going strong it was always a favourite with all the small works employers when they were all open Tyzacks ,William Parkins etc :huh: .

Hi John

Me again! I have not heard of the first one but I have heard of the Bar Rio, because someone I work with used to go in there, and I can ask her about it if you want? I have heard a bit about it wasn't it the 80s? People used to wear Hawaiian shirts?!

Im Sheffield born and bred, and remember Bar Rio very well. However, I have never heard of "Merry England", and my bus used to stop in Bridge Street, so surely I would have passed it daily on my way to work?

In Sheffield born and bred, and remember Bar Rio very well. However, I have never heard of "Merry England", and my bus used to stop in Bridge Street, so surely I would have passed it daily on my way to work?

All depends on your age Grenoman the MERRY ENGLAND (BAR cum NIGHT CLUB ) was open around late 60s early 70s like i said in a early post originally it was the snooker room belonging to the BLACK SWAN (MUCKY DUCK ) did you ever go in the Gay Paree under the Marples entrance in Fitzalan Square similar sort of establishment at that time the MERRY ENGLAND was below ground level the windows inside were well above your head but on the outside level with the pavement :huh: .

Edited by JACK HEWITT

Sounds like you are describing the LORD NELSON nickname ( FANNY'S ) still going strong it was always a favourite with all the small works employers when they were all open Tyzacks ,William Parkins etc :huh: .

Yes thanks Jack, I have'nt lived in Sheff for many years but that sounds right. It was a real spit n sawdust workers pub with a good jukebox, not many left like it now. Do you know if it's still there?

Yes thanks Jack, I haven't lived in Sheff for many years but that sounds right. It was a real spit n sawdust workers pub with a good jukebox, not many left like it now. Do you know if it's still there?

Like i said STILL GOING STRONG it has always had a good clientele even more so on home games at the Lane always full of the Blades faithfull :thumbs up: .