A sensible discussion about current drugs policy.

Cigarettes and booze are legal but you still get people smuggling them. What makes you think it would be any different with drugs.

They will just manufacture a more lethal type to sell.

I think ALL street drugs should have the same category and carry a hefty sentence for the dealing of.

Cigarettes and booze are heavily taxed in this country (perhaps because they are easy targets). I guess many peoples argument would be for cigarettes, is that they cost the system a lot in healthcare. Those figures don't add up equally, so that argument is blown.

Since there are countries that are close by that sell cigs and booze cheaper because they don't choose to pay for an enormous free healthcare system, then people will buy black market cigs. Obviously not everyone in this country does this, or the revenue for cigs n booze wouldn't be as high as it is.

I can't provide figures for alcohol, but I can for cigs. If the tax (hence cost) on cigs was equal to the cost to society (mainly healthcare system), then the black market would be gone.

What makes you think it would be any different with drugs.

At the moment you couldn't pop across to France to buy legal stuff any cheaper, like you can cigs and booze now.

If they (France) also legalised or decriminalised the same products, the market would go as it is now.

The only reason people buys illegal cigs is because the tax rate is so high.

ALL street drugs should have the same category and carry a hefty sentence for the dealing of.

:rolleyes: You mean pretty much like now? It really works, what we have now doesn't it?

all addictive drugs free and legal.

money saved on drop in crime put into rehab.

money saved on trying to prevent illegal importation put into rehab

no market for addictive drugs as state provideds them free, no dealers.

dramatic drop in crime and disease and poverty and child abuse

People are concerned with doing dealers out of business because they cause a huge percentage of the crime that we live in. And it is often unnecessary crime. Much of it could be easily eradicated.

If users are using (currently illegal) drugs that aren't addictive, like many aren't; and aren't ridiculously harmful, like some legal drugs, like alc and cigs, then there is a reasonable cause for debate on willingness for argument or discussion.

Some drugs are harmful when abused (answer is in the word 'abused'), some aren't that harmful, abused or not. Some legal drugs are extremely harmful when abused or not abused. I've never read about many health benefits to smoking cigarettes.

I'm willing to talk about the harm of several illegal drugs :)

Different drugs, different acquired places. i.e, Heroin not available in sweet shops.

To which drug?

The NHS pays for self harmers now.

You mean as they do now? But pay dealers to 'help' them?

What do people get out of having a beer at the weekend after a weeks work? Pleasure. Relax. Have fun.

I know what your answer will be ... 'people who can't relax and have fun without alcohol aren't living' or words to that effect.

Why do you say 'no recreational reasons'? How many people drink or smoke with the direct intention of stealing, causing crime, being unhappy, or to fight?

Most people drink for recreational purposes. Do you not like this?

I don't think it's unique.

The only thing I'm addicted to is cigarettes. Most of my friends who smoked have knocked this habit. I have too a few times, temporarily, but I just can't knock it permanently. I've never got addicted to anything else that I've taken.

There are so many silly assumptions ther that I won't waste time on them.

Cigarettes and booze are legal but you still get people smuggling them. What makes you think it would be any different with drugs.

They will just manufacture a more lethal type to sell.

I think ALL street drugs should have the same category and carry a hefty sentence for the dealing of.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but get ready for the flack (Triple A).

That is the way that they always get stopped.

According to certain drug users on here their is no danger or addiction from taking illegal drugs.

This obviously goes against statistics and facts which is what you would expect from the pro drug/drug user community on here

I may be entrenched in my views, so what, it is based on a lifetime of seeing many people from all walks of life go down the drug abuse route.

And to the poster who made comments about my Wifes lack of attractiveness, see for your self, naturaly she was younger then but so was I.

288uweb.jpg

what makes a smack rat? is it the smack or what they do to get it?

all addictive drugs free and legal.

money saved on drop in crime put into rehab.

money saved on trying to prevent illegal importation put into rehab

no market for addictive drugs as state provideds them free, no dealers.

dramatic drop in crime and disease and poverty and child abuse

this is the answer, its lacking details but its the answer. and no im not an addict.

I wouldn't know I'm proud to say I've never had the inclination to indulge, have yopu?

no. but my old platoon commander ended up a junkie on smack. now he is a war correspondant for the times with two best seller books. as a very rich individual he did not have to steal to feed the habit, or live off the state. so the smack did not in my opinion did not make him the rat. remove the cost of drugs you remove the power of dealers, you remove the waste of money spent on prevention of importation. you start to deal with the issue.

Archived