A sensible discussion about current drugs policy.

remove the cost of drugs you remove the power of dealers, you remove the waste of money spent on prevention of importation. you start to deal with the issue.

So making them more available would reduce the number of users which in turn would reduce addiction.

Please give me some time to figure that one out.

Dealers = drugs more attractive

High cost = more attractive

Cheaper drugs = less addicts

Still thinking

So making them more available would reduce the number of users which in turn would reduce addiction.

Please give me some time to figure that one out.

Dealers = drugs more attractive

High cost = more attractive

Cheaper drugs = less addicts

Still thinking

dealers gone as no profit

drugs free to user

free drugs to addicts, so no need to steal to feed habit, no drug importation as no market, so all money saved goes into rehabilitation. also clean drug delivery so less disease.

drugs are so available now its hard to believe.

Cigarettes and booze are legal but you still get people smuggling them. What makes you think it would be any different with drugs.

They will just manufacture a more lethal type to sell.

I think ALL street drugs should have the same category and carry a hefty sentence for the dealing of.

You can brew your own for about the same price the supermarket charges, before taking into account duty. When you take into account duty, you can make a 90% saving.

That smart price vodka is essentially DUTY.

Cigarettes are essentially DUTY too. You can buy baccy for 1000+ cheaper in places like Zimbabwe, but we have a trades embargo with them, making it illegal, before you take into account the ridiculous DUTY.

Their life expectancy has been in freefall since the trades embargo began, its about 40, like in Afghanistan.

It's a bloody disgrace, I should be allowed to purchase Zimbabwean tobacco in order to alleviate that country's poverty and suffering.

Chem1st, I totally agree with you about the price of cig's and booze and the added duty on them.

Do you think that if they legalised drugs that there wouldn't be a tax on them?

Ash, Okay, the gov give the junkies free drugs. How much? where do they smoke, inject it?

What happens when they no longer get high from said amount? Do the gov keep increasing it?

And whilst all these drugs are given to the junkies so they can get their rocks off for free, Have you for one min thought about what happens to the children of said junkies? Or is it ok for them to see their parents fix in front of them or inhale the fumes from crack pipes and skunk ?

I can see why some people think that legalising drugs is the answer, but i just don't think it would work, mostly because of the nature of the beast.

Junkies are weak, selfish and very greedy people. Whatever you gave them it would never be enough.

But that's just my view.

You can't have a sensible discussion about drugs and their legality because the US are hell bent on it being the wrong so the world has to follow suit. We would never get away with legalising anything without the lead coming from the US, they are our masters like it or lump it.

Any scientist paid to advise anything to the govt here, anything other than its a bad idea to legalise any of it gets the bullet so a serious debate can never happen.

There's numerous interesting documentaries on drugs like 'grass' and 'the union' as well as the one about the Miami drug wars. They are all good and suggest that making them illegal has done more damage than when they were actually legal or not criminalised.

The Mexicans now dealing with it are calling for it to be looked at and have had the bottle to point the finger, we should have a proper debate about the whole situation and if the findings are that its better to legalise and control the supply and taxation by the state then we should grow some gonads and tell the US that that's where we stand and maybe they should re look at their own policies on it.

I know heroin use is said to have been no where near the problem it is after made illegal and organised crime has definitely prospered as it does in anything the govt bans. As long as there is demand then people will find a way to supply and people get hurt from all angles of the spectrum.

Chem1st, I totally agree with you about the price of cig's and booze and the added duty on them.

Ash, Okay, the gov give the junkies free drugs. How much? where do they smoke, inject it?

I think it was s.hawkins that said about being free. I'd prefer a similar system to legal drugs now.

As for where they use it, at home? Much like smokers do now, as it's socially unacceptable to smoke in most public places.

Just make it illegal to use them in the street, like alcohol is now in some places.

What happens when they no longer get high from said amount? Do the gov keep increasing it?

The government wouldn't have to increase the amount, the buyer could buy more, much like cigarettes now. At the moment someone who steals to fund their habit has to increase their stealing. If prices were reasonable, no stealing would be needed, much like now when not many people steal to smoke cigarettes.

And whilst all these drugs are given to the junkies so they can get their rocks off for free, Have you for one min thought about what happens to the children of said junkies?

What happens to them now? If there is no intervention from social services, then children have to see their parents out on the rob to pay for (certain) drugs.

Or is it ok for them to see their parents fix in front of them or inhale the fumes from crack pipes and skunk ?

I don't think it's acceptable now whilst they are illegal. I don't think it's acceptable to smoke legal drugs in front of children now either. I don't do it inside the house.

I can see why some people think that legalising drugs is the answer, but i just don't think it would work, mostly because of the nature of the beast.

Junkies are weak, selfish and very greedy people. Whatever you gave them it would never be enough.

But that's just my view.

Perhaps they are weak, selfish and greedy, but I'd rather them get their highs without stealing, which at the moment is the only way to pay the vast prices that dealers charge. Hence causing a large percentage of current crime.

And whilst all these drugs are given to the junkies so they can get their rocks off for free, Have you for one min thought about what happens to the children of said junkies? Or is it ok for them to see their parents fix in front of them or inhale the fumes from crack pipes and skunk ?

But that's just my view.

Liza I'm glad that there are people like you around on this forum, you're up against the do gooders who'll spend your money on these mamby pamby none solutions for you.

It's just the same as those who agree with sending offenders on Holidays and trips.

I paid for the trips and holidays that my kids went on and they weren't trips on drugs either.

But, acording to some on here I'm not normal.

Perhaps they are weak, selfish and greedy, but I'd rather them get their highs without stealing, which at the moment is the only way to pay the vast prices that dealers charge. Hence causing a large percentage of current crime.
Oh, and how much do you think the admin costs will be all over the country? I've already asked which 'Peter' will be robbed to for you fancy pay 'Paul' scheme, cancer sufferers, OAPs, disabled soldiers?

I don't think it's acceptable now whilst they are illegal. I don't think it's acceptable to smoke legal drugs in front of children now either. I don't do it inside the house.

And what kind of drugs do you smoke, of the illegal drugs how many are of the smoking type?

Can they be addictive and what effect do they have.

Archived