A sensible discussion about current drugs policy.

I know heroin use is said to have been no where near the problem it is after made illegal and organised crime has definitely prospered as it does in anything the govt bans. As long as there is demand then people will find a way to supply and people get hurt from all angles of the spectrum.

How are people going to get hold of drugs that are habit forming/addictive/mind changing once they are made legal?

How are people going to get hold of drugs that are habit forming/addictive/mind changing once they are made legal?

The vast majority are already available under the nhs, although not as recreational substances. Some are produced in order to refine them into drugs which are then used in the nhs.

Chem1st, I totally agree with you about the price of cig's and booze and the added duty on them.

Do you think that if they legalised drugs that there wouldn't be a tax on them?

Of course there would be, but it could be a good thing. If it was very high, it would allow the black market to flourish, but if kept to a reasonable level and used to fund treatment programs and health-safety initiatives, then it could only be a good thing.

Oh, and how much do you think the admin costs will be all over the country? I've already asked which 'Peter' will be robbed to for you fancy pay 'Paul' scheme, cancer sufferers, OAPs, disabled soldiers?

What admin costs do cigarettes cost now? Taxes cover it Bassman.

What is the admin cost now to the police trying to win this losing battle, and the cost of incarcerating people who take drugs?

-

If a person is on a £15,000 heroin habit (and pay for it themselves), then has to steal nearly £50,000 worth of stuff to pay for that.

How much does it cost to grow an opium poppy? 20p for a hit?

And what kind of drugs do you smoke, of the illegal drugs how many are of the smoking type?

Can they be addictive and what effect do they have.

I smoke cigarettes.

And they are very addictive. Many illegal drugs aren't addictive or anything like as dangerous.

I've never smoked Heroin, but that is one for the list of smoking type.

That is a valid point Bassman. Ask anyone that you know, if they would go and buy heroin if it was available to buy, and I know the answer.

I think the answer is that some people will try some drugs that they otherwise wouldn't.

I smoke cigarettes.

And they are very addictive. Many illegal drugs aren't addictive or anything like as dangerous.

I've never smoked Heroin, but that is one for the list of smoking type.

Is there a difference between the effect of smoking cigarattes and smoking heroin.

That isn't the question asked.

Just use your noggin.

The drug dealers are happy to keep supplying them.

Entrepreneurs are happy to sell.

Drug users are happy to sell.

The NHS could do so, or a government agency acting on their behalf.

Archived