Old butchers shop on Firth Park Rd

Frohike

Yes it was Spencer & Son's.

John Spencer & I were good friends & in the same class at Hinde House school & also knew each other through Boys Brigade. He was in fact the grandson of the Spencer who founded the shop. John & his dad ran it for many years ( John started there when he left school in 1959); John's son started there too when he was old enough.

Sadly John died ar a relatively young age (early 50's I think) some 15 or so years ago. Then the shop closed.

The end of an era & of 4 generations of Spencer's at the shop. Sad.

John

I was a school friend of John's brother David (Spanner). I used to go to Sheffield Wednesday matches with him occasionally and rememember once his dad taking us to Leeds to see a Wednesday side beat them 3-1 in a 1968 FA cup tie. Interestingly many years later I read that David had become a Director of Leeds United FC during the Peter Ridsdale era .

I used to look after Alice Spencer who used to own the shop. What a lovely witty woman she was. When I moved into my first flat she sent her daughter Mary out to buy me a house warming gift of a bed set and towels, I still have those towels nearly 10 years later. Unfortunately Alice passed away in Mortomely House Rest Home (at High Green) I can definitely say a lady passed my way. She laughed till the end. :)

Archived