1940/50 life as a wireless kid ..

grinder

I remember leaving strict instruction to be called in off the street for 6.45 to listen to Dick Barton. and rushing home from school because I was following some fantasy serial on Children's hour.

In those days when radio was king there where some shows I would never miss. "The Goons", "Educating Archie","Jet Morgan", "Take it from here" and many many more great shows a thousand memories thanks to the BBC...

The Radio was a focal point in most homes then, can you remember your first one and your favorite Programs back then..

I remember leaving strict instruction to be called in off the street for 6.45 to listen to Dick Barton. and rushing home from school because I was following some fantasy serial on Children's hour.

In those days when radio was king there where some shows I would never miss. "The Goons", "Educating Archie","Jet Morgan", "Take it from here" and many many more great shows a thousand memories thanks to the BBC...

The Radio was a focal point in most homes Can you remember your first one..

Sexton Blake,a life of bliss,life with the lions with Bebe Daniels and Ben Lyon,ther must be hundreds more,all bring back memories sat around the fire on rainy nights and sunday afternoons.

We used to be mad about "Journey into space"

Caused problems because the timing clashed with church choir practise or service - seem to think it was on Sunday evenings so it would be the service.

Still remember Whitaker and "orders must be obeyed without question at all times"

Also remember how my, normally strict, father would let me stay up late or get up in the night to listen to the boxing - Bruce Woodcock.

Another big favourite was "Meet the Huggets" - Kathleen Harrison was brilliant.

Jimmy Edwards, Round the Horn (hello, my name's Julian this is my friend Sandy), Family Favourites with BFPO whatsits.

Sunday wouldn't have been the same without preparing and eating Sunday lunch without Family Favourites and a bottle of dandelion & burdock.

Jet Morgan Doc Mitch and Lemmy...

Charles Chilton, do you remember the one he did before that Jeff Arnold and the "Riders of the range "

No, don't remember that.

and Freddie Mills &don cockell

Yes, I remember listening to their bouts too - will have to look them up on the net and learn more about them as I was fairly young at the time.

I think Freddie eventually got in with a bad crowd & got himself shot.

I remember working with a yank when I was 15 & he used to wind me up by saying that Cockell was rubbish compared to American fighters (can't remember who he fought) - he may have been right but it certainly got my back up.

On Sundays - The Billy Cotton Bandshow, the Goon show, and Educating Archie. I can't believe we were daft enough to listen to a ventriloquist on the radio. :roll: The Glums and Life with the Lyons. And I loved Children's Favourites on a Saturday morning with Uncle Mac.

I also remember listening to Take Your Pick and Top of the Form. And the football results - there was a hush in every home whilst the dad checked his pools coupon.

Archived