1940/50 life as a wireless kid ..

grinder

What was the radio programme with George Cole (Arthur Daly). Something like 'Life of .......

He had a dog called 'Phsyco' or something.

There was another show featuring a imaginary dog called 'Upsey', and one of the actors always used to be shouting 'Down Upsey! It used to crack me up that did. Was it Eric Barker? I'd probably get it on 'Google' but that's cheating.

Who were Norman and Henry Bones grinder? It reminds me of the old song 'Throw the Bones to Henry Jones 'cause Henry don't eat no Meat'.

when i was 10 years old in 1955 i used to go to my grand ma every sunday for my dinner , she lived on woodbourn rd opposite radical working mens club i can remember about 6pm she could not miss SING SOMETHING simple. and best of all my uncle joe who lived with my nan came home from radical club a bit tipsy, have is dinner, then fall asleep on sofa, he always woke up during the singing. when it was time for me to go he always gave me two bob. it was like winning the pools

Texas.

Norman and Henry Bones were two young brother who had adventures catching crooks, a sort of juvenile Holmes & Watson..

Back in the days of wireless crooks were every where and all the amateur sleuths had spiffing adventures catching them, don't you know..

Also as I'm sure you remember, when they were caught they were all quite nice about it and said thing's like "All right governor it's a fair cop " and the police were always baffled and had to ask, "but how did you know it was them ?"...:huh:

Texas.

Norman and Henry Bones were two young brother who had adventures catching crooks, a sort of juvenile Holmes & Watson..

Back in the days of wireless crooks were every where and all the amateur sleuths had spiffing adventures catching them, don't you know..

Also as I'm sure you remember, when they were caught they were all quite nice about it and said thing's like "All right governor it's a fair cop " and the police were always baffled and had to ask, "but how did you know it was them ?"...:huh:

Then we had the "Radio Fun" and "Film Fun" comics where the American stars all spoke in the english vernacular, Joe E. Brown, Abbot and Costello, Laurel & Hardy etc. as in "Who pinched the plum duff? or "I'd like to take Peggy to the pictures". "Her dad's a toff".

Perhaps reflecting our wartime experience around Xmas time, there was always some anxiety about whether they would get a Christmas feed, but it all worked out in the end when they got invited to the toff's house and in the end panel they were all sitting around a table loaded with chicken and buns, and of course, lovely Peggy.

Texas.

And the burglars in the comics always had a black mask just covering the eyes, a striped jersey and a big bag with the word 'SWAG' across it.

And the burglars in the comics always had a black mask just covering the eyes, a striped jersey and a big bag with the word 'SWAG' across it.

Yes, it must have been dead easy being a copper in those days, especially in the country.

The crooks were always down from the big city, the spy's always had a moustache, sinister foreign accent and looking for a briefcase, plus all the gypsies lived in quaint little caravans and wore spotted handkerchiefs on there heads..

Happy days..

Trastrick.

And that Chicken in the middle of the table used to look more like an Ostrich..

It made the tin of spam you sat down to for your Christmas dinner a bit disappointing, dinit.........:roll:

What about the massive plate of bangers and mash with the bangers sticking out of the mash and steam rising off it? I don't think Arthur Askey ever ate anything else.

What about the massive plate of bangers and mash with the bangers sticking out of the mash and steam rising off it? I don't think Arthur Askey ever ate anything else.

And Desperate Dan's cow pie with the horn's sticking out....

Hey Texas, can you still get those over there ?

Yes, it must have been dead easy being a copper in those days, especially in the country.

The crooks were always down from the big city, the spy's always had a moustache, sinister foreign accent and looking for a briefcase, plus all the gypsies lived in quaint little caravans and wore spotted handkerchiefs on there heads..

Happy days..

And the natives always had that big cooking pot over the fire, which all our heroes managed to find themselves in at some point.

Archived