1940/50 life as a wireless kid ..

grinder

Yes, I remember listening to their bouts too - will have to look them up on the net and learn more about them as I was fairly young at the time.

I think Freddie eventually got in with a bad crowd & got himself shot.

I remember working with a yank when I was 15 & he used to wind me up by saying that Cockell was rubbish compared to American fighters (can't remember who he fought) - he may have been right but it certainly got my back up.

he fought rocky marciano and the yanks did everything they could to make sure their man won

Yes that's right, Marciano - hadn't had time to look it up yet but you jogged my memory.

I believe Cockell took a good beating but scored top marks for effort & bravery.

he was also beaten by all the dirty yanks threw at him brfore the fight rocky used his head as well as his fists in that fight

Tommy Handley ???? was the radio program called "ITMA" - Its That Man Again - possibly refering to Tommy Handley

No one has mentioned "Norman Evans" - program, Over The Garden Wall ? often did impersonations of plump women, similar to the late Les Dawson in much more later years

Best Wishes - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

When they started giving away free gifts with comics I remember getting a WIZ BANG one week with the Wizard.

It was a printed square of thin cardboard folded in half from corner to corner, inside was glued a triangle of brown paper, and when you held one corner of the cardboard triangle and brought it down sharply it cracked loudly...

It didn't take much to keep us happy back then ,did it....:D

Yeah, I remember that, as well as the "monkey on a stick" you got from the market.

Do you remember a backyard game called something like "peg leg" where you hit a tapered peice of round wood with a stick then hit it while it was still in the air.

What the heck was that about?

Does anyone go back as far as Tommy Handley? When I here people moaning about their lot in life I always think of Mrs Mop. Her character always would sign off, after a good old moan, with the words 'It's being so cheerful that keeps me going'. And Colonel Chinstrap. He was always ready for a drink. Somebody would say something like 'There, at the rear,' and Chinstrap would reply 'A glass of beer? I don't mind if I do'.

The Handley Show was famous for it's catchphrases, there were dozens of them.

The shows characters were memorable too, apart from the aforesaid there were, Claud and Cecil, Sam the Scam, Frisby Dyke,( he was from Manchester and his catchphrase was ' If you've never been to Manchester, you've never lived'. ( It was known for it's rainfall was Manchester, and the words were uttered like he had adenoids), and Funf. Funf was a German spy and after a anti-English diatribe,he would sign off with 'This is Funf speaking'.

You've got to remember, this was during the second world war and we needed all the laughs we could get.

Bless 'em all.

I don't believe Tommy was ever given his due. He inspired a later generation of radio and TV characters (the Major in Fawlty Towers was a complete knock off of Chinstrap)

And on another note, how about "Educating Archie" with Peter Brough, Archie Andrews, Professor Jimmy Edwards, Julie Andrews and "the voice of them all" Peter Cavanagh.

Imagine a ventriloquist on the radio!

he fought rocky marciano and the yanks did everything they could to make sure their man won

I remember staying up all night to catch the broadcast live from the US.

I still can quote the commentator on a bloodied Cockell. "Britain should be proud of their boy, Don Cockell".

Archived