What did you want to be?

oldiegirl

I wanted to play for Sheffield United and managed to convince Jimmy Hagen I was better than him but it was just Jimmy kidding me, I did become a ball boy but jumping over that rope which was round the cricket pitch got a bit boring and Snooker took precedance so SUFC missed out, well that's what I tell myself.

I wanted to be a vet, because that's what my dad wanted me to be. Just one problem - no money to pay for a university education - which is sort of important if you want to be a vet.

So, I worked in a shop, Cole Bros, on leaving school. Then I went into repping, because it gave me a company car and more money than working in a shop. I stayed repping but moved industries from food to pharmaceuticals and spent the last 20 odd years in that industry. Eventually getting to the top as a director of one of the big companies.

Now I'm self-employed, trying to make a living off my own wits - which isn't easy tbh. But if I can make this work I'll have achieved the ultimate ambition really, which isn't about a particular type of job, it's about having enough money to do the things I want to be able to do and have a nice life-style for me and my family.

If I can't make it work I think I'll be back working at Cole Bros and start all over again!

Archived