Moving to Spain - has anyone done it?

More people are coming back home Corky.

The recession is really biting there plus less and less people are holidaying there.

Less than a third of the flights per week from east midlands airport this year alone to Malaga.

I was there in the boom time when money was easy to earn and loved it.

If you send your kids to a mainstream school they will get six weeks private tuition to learn the language and then they are put into school, this actually works quite well.

If you have a way of earning a living go for it otherwise don't bother as the only work you will get is low paid stuff off english ex pats.

If you are serious learning spanish is a must.

My pal who has his own place mortgage free and his wife works for a Spanish solicitors firm is coming back next week for good because more and more places are closing down every week.

The building trade has collapsed and house prices tumbled, this was always going to happen recession or not.

Money doesn't go as far as it used to in Spain and you really need to make sure you will have a regular income. If you move to a tourist area be prepared for it to be dead for half the year. If you move to a traditionally Spanish area you will need to speak the language to get by. Too many people have moved to Spain without giving it enough thought and have had to move back again after deciding it was a very expensive mistake.

Unemployment figures are one of the worst in Europe and the property market has crashed much harder that in the UK. In almost every area there are loads and loads of homes that have never sold. Healthcare can also be a problem as you aren't automatically entitled to it and you often have to pay out for private cover.

Some people will find it great but lots of people move there to escape from something and have a better lifestyle, then realise the grass isn't always greener. My parents have lived there for about 6 years and really enjoy it but only because they planned carefully and bought a holiday home in the are that they used for a number of years before moving permanently. They were also able to keep their income when they moved there rather than having to look for work.

More people are coming back home Corky.

The recession is really biting there plus less and less people are holidaying there.

Less than a third of the flights per week from east midlands airport this year alone to Malaga.

I was there in the boom time when money was easy to earn and loved it.

If you send your kids to a mainstream school they will get six weeks private tuition to learn the language and then they are put into school, this actually works quite well.

If you have a way of earning a living go for it otherwise don't bother as the only work you will get is low paid stuff off english ex pats.

If you are serious learning spanish is a must.

My pal who has his own place mortgage free and his wife works for a Spanish solicitors firm is coming back next week for good because more and more places are closing down every week.

The building trade has collapsed and house prices tumbled, this was always going to happen recession or not.

So, any thoughts as to how much a three bedroomed villa might cost in, say, Benidorm ??

I've got two sets of relatives who have been out and come back recently due to the job situation. Fair play to one set, they stuck it out for several years, even when one was sent to work in a hotel at the other side of the country from the other! The others were less organised, gave up a rented house here, and soon came back when they realised they would really have to 'work' to survive, then were angry when they'd been put to the bottom of the list again for council housing here!

So, any thoughts as to how much a three bedroomed villa might cost in, say, Benidorm ??

There are plenty of properties for sale on the internet, however 3 bed villas are not the norm in Benidorm and are usually found in altea, cala finistat and surrounding areas.

My pal owns a chippy in Benidorm and lives in Altea.

There are plenty of properties for sale on the internet, however 3 bed villas are not the norm in Benidorm and are usually found in altea, cala finistat and surrounding areas.

My pal owns a chippy in Benidorm and lives in Altea.

TA, I'll look into that, I know Altea, it is only a little up the coast, used to have a market on the beach.

TA, I'll look into that, I know Altea, it is only a little up the coast, used to have a market on the beach.

Still a lovelly place Altea and only 10 minutes away from the hustle and bustle if you fancy a night out, also even nearer is Albir and just as lovelly.

Archived