Moving to Spain - has anyone done it?

:rolleyes:Best thing to do is wait till you retire and buy a holiday home there. We have one in a mountain village 35 mins from the coast (Costa del Sol) and we love it! Ryan air is so cheap this time of year and we just hop on a plane to guaranteed sun! Best of both worlds. Cost of living is much cheaper in the villages than the coast, everything is so cheap, electric, council tax etc. We pay just 300 Euros to run the house per year with just the electric bills on top. We also rent it out occassionally to pay for our flights!!

Spain is a grate place if you have got lots of money and you can live off a pension or some thing but to live and work there is a different thing you think its tuff here your stranded of living will drop so much. no family to help you your on your own in a strange place you don't speak the lingo different customs no national heath there to go to when you or the kids are ill its a grate pace to go on holiday but that's it they are no better off in Spain than we are in any way the only thing they have that we have not is lots sun shine and that gets boring after a bit been there done it love England ,

My sister lives there has done for 4 years its hard to get work now it cost a fortune for medication and seeing a dr etc. When my sister first went it was way cheaper than uk on all fronts but there isnt much differance now it probs cost more in spain actually. Getting broadband is alot aswell and the service is rubbish and your lucky to get a signal where my sister lives in Frigiliana 45min from Malaga. When it rains hard enough you have no TV cos satalite kicks out so your left with just spanish TV. Best thing about it is Time as in watches and clocks hardly exist over there where as uk life is mad rush and everyone needs a watch etc. It is so laid back and chilled out and its unbeleivable although getting use to it takes a while.

Why are all these replies negative!!!?

It is true that recently, jobs in Spain are harder to come by than in the past, but that's happening all over the world!

I've lived in Spain for 2 years in Barcelona, I lost my job last year but I struggled through the summer doing seasonal work in a bar and now I have a fantastic job for an American company based in Bacelona dealing with English clients that pays me more than I was ever paid in the UK!

Yes there are things about every country that arent perfect, the broadband is rubbish, things are always done "manana" etc etc...but they dont have chavs hanging about drinking on every street corner, neighbours still chat to each other over their terraces, massive celebrations for easter, xmas and other holidays that include street festivals for all the family...etc etc You can look on the positive or negative side of anything in life..

And not forgetting that I get up for work every morning and 9/10 the sun is shining, my journing to work includes a train ride along the coast (that always comes on time!) and my weekends are spent on a terrace somewhere having a coffee or beer, or walking the dogs on the beach...

For me, you can't beat it .... times are hard, but it's like anything, if you want it bad enough and your hearts in it, you'll make it work :thumbsup:

Archived