Does anyone remember the old fashioned bin men?

They didn't hoist up the bin on their shoulders, they emptied the bin into a steel container, a little bit a present day baby bath and carried it away on their shoulder. Then, the bins had hinged lids as well. Bear in mind, we used to have open fires in those days so most things that would burn went onto the fire so not a lot of waste was actually put in the bin, even the fire ashes were usually put on the gardens.

Modernisation manufactures more rubbish, just looking at the size of the refuse lorries today as to the ones oy yesteryear, there is no comparison.

Edited by Lucifer
spelling mistakes.

What about the bin lorries where they put the bin on the bottom at either side, pulled a leaver, and it raised the bin to the top, tipped it over and emptied the content into the lorry? If they felt it hadn't emptied, they could jolt it back and forth a few times. Fascinating watching them as a kid. Such a racket they all made back then.

They didn't hoist up the bin on their shoulders, they emptied the bin into a steel container, a little bit a present day baby bath and carried it away on their shoulder. Then, the bins had hinged lids as well. .

I don’t remember any of that we had a metal bin with a separate lid, the bin was carried from our back garden slung over their shoulder and then poured straight into the back of the lorry.

I don’t remember any of that we had a metal bin with a separate lid, the bin was carried from our back garden slung over their shoulder and then poured straight into the back of the lorry.

That's right Malky!

My Uncle was a big bloke,and he used pick up two bins a time and empty in the wagon.They used to put them back where they found them,(not like today)where they just leave em anywhere.

I think most people used to give them a tip at xmas,(once again,not these days)

We had galvanised bins with black rubber lids and the bin men fetched them from the back of the house and carried them on there shoulder to the awaiting lorry then bought the empty bin back to where it belonged.