First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

riddo7up

Wasnt that the only Restaurant in Hillsboro around that time Old Tup i cant think of another.
There was the "Oriental" just past the "Masons" on Langsett Road.I played in bands at the time and after gigs if we could not get in the "Bluebird" we would go to the "Oriental' for some undescribable grub because we were always hungry in those days!

Old Tup it changed its name to Silver Dragon because there was already a Bluebird in the Wicker.We used to go in every Saturday night in the sixties and went in until it closed for good.Suited and booted tie and cuff links how times have changed.

Wasn't the Chinese restaurant in the Wicker the 'Peacock' ? ( at least in the early '60s) and one of the (not THE) first to open ?

Wasnt that the only Restaurant in Hillsboro around that time Old Tup i cant think of another.

I think it was but at the time we always headed for a Chinese supper after a night's drinking so other types of restaurants never caught our attention!.I,'ve just read the calculation for my obstruction fine,I,'ll not sleep tonight !.

I think it was but at the time we always headed for a Chinese supper after a night's drinking so other types of restaurants never caught our attention!.I,'ve just read the calculation for my obstruction fine,I,'ll not sleep tonight !.

'Obstruction fine'... 'not sleep', why, do you still owe it ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Old Kelly's directories show this laundry at 140 Firth Park Road on the corner of Selby Road. In the directories from 1937 to 1954 it was "Chin Hong" and by 1958 "S.L. Hong". By 1970 "Pa T. Chu" lived there (no business mentioned).

That's the one. It looks like 'S L HONG' in THIS photo.

'Obstruction fine'... 'not sleep', why, do you still owe it ?

No but its the percentage of the fine total against my wage in the early 60s,on average most people earned around £10 per week at that time!.Don,t forget I,m a Yorkshireman,I,ve still got the twobob the midwife gave me at my birth!.We have a reputation of being careful with cash,a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with no brains!.:nod::blush:

No but its the percentage of the fine total against my wage in the early 60s,on average most people earned around £10 per week at that time!.Don,t forget I,m a Yorkshireman,I,ve still got the twobob the midwife gave me at my birth!.We have a reputation of being careful with cash,a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with no brains!.:nod::blush:

Oh my God did you just say a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with no brains :shocked:

• 1 year later...

Ref. Post 3: Bantycock. Restaurant of Rushby Street with dog in fridge

It also ocCURred to me that the Gambit restaurant on Commercial Street also got caught with dog hanging in the fridge. Did they get closed down for this? I had some mates who praised the ‘chicken’ meals at the gambit. Ugh!

----------------

Further to my post no.38

I have noticed the site of the Goldfish Bowl, Chinese chip-chop (Earl Way) is now Brenda’s fish and chips restaurant. In passing, I have seen they have a seated area (well, it is a restaurant), and the restaurant seems to have loads of customers. What struck me though, is the chips and fish (and peas) are a lot more expensive than when I was a regler at the Goldfish Bowl back in the late 60s, early 70s. I mentioned this because the portions are now much smaller than they were all those years ago. It seems a lot of money to pay just for sitting down. I suppose ‘Bren gun Brenda’ is the only one who could explain this. I wonder if she takes her Summer holiday in sunny Brno.

Ref post 39: Hillsbro

Hello Hillsbro, you say your Missus regards you as “somewhat eccentric”. Well, it must run in the blood because your cousin, Denise was also “somewhat eccentric”, for giving me all those extra ‘lashings’ … of chips that is! Lol. Greetings to Mrs Hillsbro from me. xx

----------------

As I mentioned before somewhere else on the Forum, the Goldfish Bowl owners had premises elsewhere in Sheffield. I have now recalled it was on Barber Road, Sheff 10. Go Figar-o.