First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

riddo7up

The photo of the menu for the Goldfish Bowl brings back memories, the Goldfish Bowl was mainly just chip shop but was bought by the Golden Dragon just round the corner on Matilda Street, they then started selling Chinese takeaways, I worked on Sidney Street in the 70s & 80s and I had several young lads working for me and Friday, pay day, we all had a Chinese from the Goldfish Bowl for us all. The Rickshaw seems to have been the first Chinese Restaurant in town in 1960/1 it was on the corner of Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street.

Edited by lazarus

When I lived in Hong Kong I moved into a rented house located in the far reaches of the New Territories. I was the only non-Chinese resident in the village. I spotted an elderly gentleman who looked like he might be an important member of the village community. Upon asking him how long he had lived there, he replied 'I don't live here, I own a chip shop in Sheffield'

• nikki-red changed the title to First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield