First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

riddo7up

If you want to actually trace the first chinese restaurant in Sheffield it was opened by Man Gee Wong whose parents had a Chinese Laundry in Ecclesall Road, just past the block of shops that used to house a snooker hall on the first floor, and just before you get to Hickmott Road.

Man Gee now lives in Harrogate.

:)

Hey, I never did ask my granma or my aunties who'd lived in Sheffield for a long time about the laundry place.

Glad you found the guy. I recall your thread asking about him. I'm curious about the history now.

Where was it and what was it called ?

I think The Rickshaw was the first. Don't forget Lin Hong at Highfields. Its now got another name but it was definitely open in 1957. That's the year I started work. We used to get a lunch for half a crown.

was the lin hong the restaurant beside the Highfield Library, in Highfield? it was the Golden Dragon or something similar, when I was a kid, it's got another name, these days, which I can't remember.

My first "chinese" meal was in what is now a take away on Barnsley rd at the lights just before the hospital next to a kitchen centre. We had to go upstairs and when I think back it was like being at a kitchen table.

I had no idea what to pick and ende up with an omelette.

was the lin hong the restaurant beside the Highfield Library, in Highfield? it was the Golden Dragon or something similar, when I was a kid, it's got another name, these days, which I can't remember.

It used to be Golden Dragon, and then I think it's changed to something like Man Lee ?... I can't remember the recent name now though. My friend who I met at chinese school used to own that place, but they're sold on now. It didn't have customers there at all. The decorations are still very 80s.

I think i heard of a place in Attercliffe. My dad used to tell me all the time that he was going out to attercliffe to drink the "cream of sumyung guy".

Don't know where the restaurant was - but it must have liked it - he was always going out!

does anyone know the name of the place with this speciality??

Hi.I always thought the chinese restaurant on London Rd. at Highfield opposite the junction with Abbeydale Rd. was the first one in Sheff,only trouble is I can't remember the name.I think it was the Silver something or other.I can remember visiting it in the late fifties,perhaps around 1958 or 59ish when I was an apprentice with Sheffield Transport Dept.(S.T.D.)

• 1 month later...