First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

riddo7up

• 7 months later...
Where was it and what was it called ?

I think The Rickshaw was the first. Don't forget Lin Hong at Highfields. Its now got another name but it was definitely open in 1957. That's the year I started work. We used to get a lunch for half a crown.

I remember lin hongs as I lived opposite it on ward place and had many a meal in the 50`s

I can remember going in the Rickshaw around 1958, but I can only recall drinking their Russian tea, I remember it as more of a sort of cafe.

The first meal I ever ate in a chinese resteraunt was in Lin Hongs, app 1960, and as so many people have mentioned it, I reckon it must be the first or perhaps the first of the new wave of them. Used to go there odd times with the kids in the seventies ( change of name ), and actually went a few months ago for old times sake - big mistake.

Funny, I can even recall what I ate on my first ever visit - chicken breast and chips - not very adventurous was I.

Whoever said that these places started the habit of eating-out, is I think correct. There were very few affordable places before the chinese resteraunts.

• 2 months later...
I can remember going in the Rickshaw around 1958, but I can only recall drinking their Russian tea, I remember it as more of a sort of cafe.

The first meal I ever ate in a chinese resteraunt was in Lin Hongs, app 1960, and as so many people have mentioned it, I reckon it must be the first or perhaps the first of the new wave of them. Used to go there odd times with the kids in the seventies ( change of name ), and actually went a few months ago for old times sake - big mistake.

Funny, I can even recall what I ate on my first ever visit - chicken breast and chips - not very adventurous was I.

Whoever said that these places started the habit of eating-out, is I think correct. There were very few affordable places before the chinese resteraunts.

O.K. here we go! The Rickshaw on Devonshire Street and Lin Hongs London Road, were probably the first in Sheffield. The Rickshaw had a cocktail bar on the first floor called the blue Lagoon bar, where all the Sheffield scrap dealers ,car dealers and other sensitive characters, used to meet up and their "molls" used to dance to a swing/jazz trio.Around that time the Zing Vaa on the Moor opened, but I and the rest of the musical fraternity always prefered the food and the vibes of the Rickshaw.The Welcome on West Bar ,the Canary on Charles Street and the Bluebird at Hillsboro came later.( the Oriental on Infimary Road was something else!, an oasis for returning gigging bands of the 60s, but awful really)The best and classiest Chinese restuarant ever to open its doors in Sheffield was the "Kwok Man" on Charles street, nr Pollards Coffee Shop (first floor)superb cantonese style food of a higher order! worthy of 2 Michelin stars! eventually moved back to Manchester,as people would not pay the higher prices than the rest of the chinese restuarants of the day! their Loss!

• 4 weeks later...
Where was it and what was it called ?

I think The Rickshaw was the first. Don't forget Lin Hong at Highfields. Its now got another name but it was definitely open in 1957. That's the year I started work. We used to get a lunch for half a crown.

Minor point - According to the 1963 Kelly's it was called Ling Hong. But that was probably a mistake if plenty are remembering as Lin Hong.