First Chinese restaurants in Sheffield

riddo7up

Man with holes in pocket feels cocky all day man with two holes feels too cocky the old ones are always the best I always thought it was the Zing Vaa but then i was born a towny and remember the staff killing chickens at the back of the Zing Vaa in the very early 60s with a axe and letting them run around headless.

Edited by JACK HEWITT

Can anyone tell me when the first chinese rest. was opened in sheffield i came across a photo of the one next to highfields library prior to Oct 1960 .

This got me thinking when did it open ? was it the first one ?

Wasn't the one next to Highfields library called the Silver Tiger? I would imagine the Gambit on Commercial Street was one of the first ones around.

I remember the Oriental on Langset Road, what dump that was!

How about The Canary on Charles Street?

Or The Peacock (I think that was its name ) ont' Wicker. That was the first one I visited in the early 60's. Subsequently the Zing Vaa became popular because a friend at college worked there (hence good discount) followed finally by The Golden Dragon.

Or The Peacock (I think that was its name ) ont' Wicker. That was the first one I visited in the early 60's. Subsequently the Zing Vaa became popular because a friend at college worked there (hence good discount) followed finally by The Golden Dragon.

Yeh, the Peacock on the Wicker ... they used to do a 'businessmans' lunch ... three courses for £2, can't imagine what sort of businessman would go in there, ha, ha!!

Hey I remember the one in The Wicker, and it was there in the late fifties as I remember going with my dad when we had the Manchester on Nursery St, and although it wasn't exactly a restaurant, there was a chinese chippy I think up near Woodside lane called Lin Hong or similar unless my memory is playing tricks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...