Conservative minister Crispin Blunt reveals he is gay

Another government minister has come clean about his sexuality, left his wife and come out as a gay man.

Perhaps the News of the World were waiting with a lurid tales of bath houses, saunas and bondage parties, but really why is it anyone's business?

Love or hate his politics, it sounds as though he's been a good constituency MP since 1997, and father of two.

So why are such revelations necessary, and if unprompted why did he feel the public required an explanation as to the breakdown of his marriage?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11115182

Well, we've come a long way since such a revelation would have got him jailed; but how far do we still have to go until nobody even cares who he chooses to have sex with, except for his own partners?

That's true, we should thank god for small mercies.

Perhaps the perception amongst some gay MP's is that their sexuality is in some way shameful and should be concealed, or maybe they think their constituents might reflect negatively on it, indeed some may still do, so they believe it's better to keep schtum about it rather than rock the boat.

I think it is what is called an error of judgement.

He was obviously about to be 'outed' and spoke first.

But isnt this all a little bit adolescent?

A man at fifty, in a responsible position, letting his dick speak for him?

They should have all this crap out of their system by their age.

If all we can find to run the country are people like this, it is time to start shutting up shop I think.

If all we can find to run the country are people like this, it is time to start shutting up shop I think.

letting his dick speaking for him is a bit different from your sexuality

It's odd that it's even news, but I suppose anyone in the public eye has to accept details of their relationship breakdown to make the news.

Surely he has to be described as bisexual if he has a wife and two kids?

Surely he has to be described as bisexual if he has a wife and two kids?

I don't believe so Nagel, it's possible that gays overwhelmed by societal pressure to conform have heterosexual relationships to do just that. They might be able to delude themselves and even be surprised by the joy of children, but it must be a constant battle to maintain the delusion, I guess bi folks are genuinely happy in either role.

So I guess he's lost your vote artisan? Not that he had it in the first place ;)

letting his dick speaking for him is a bit different from your sexuality

Who cares about his so called sexuality?

That is his own concern, no one elses.

What is of concern is what he has been doing about his 'sexuality', and with whom.

There is obviously more to this than meets the eye, and we shall know, if we care, (which, having never heard of him, I dont :hihi:) in the fulness of time.

I don't believe so Nagel, it's possible that gays overwhelmed by societal pressure to conform have heterosexual relationships to do just that. They might be able to delude themselves and even be surprised by the joy of children, but it must be a constant battle to maintain the delusion, I guess bi folks are genuinely happy in either role.

When it comes to the mechanics of sexual arousal it's not possible for a man to pretend. He has two kids which implies an active sex life with his wife. There's a whole spectrum from 100% straight to 100% gay and I suspect he finds himself somewhere along it rather than at either end.

Archived