Swollen sore throat

Hi

As some of you will know from another thread im just out of hospital with kidney stones and kidney infection.

It appears ive caught a 'bug' whilst in hospital. Which since ive come out has involved flu like symptoms and a sore razor blade throat.

Ive been taking paracetamol and ibroprofen for these symptoms.

We phoned GP yesterday who said to keep taking my antibiotics i have been given for my kidney infection as this will clear my flu symptoms as well.

Today however my throat isnt just like a razor blade its swollen to the point of struggling to swollow saliva!! Its got a couple of white/yellow spots on it as well!! (ive got no tonsils)

Never had a sore swollen throat like this!

Dont want to phone GP again because if im already on antibiotics what else can they do!? Nothing i dont think.

What can i do? I could cry ive been so poorly now for a week, in hospital and now this :,(

Contact NHS Direct - they're really helpful and will be able to advise you whether you need to go and see a doctor or call in at a drop in centre.

Spoke to them and they said it will either be strep, pharangytis (sp) or similar but whatever it is the only thing this could give me is antibiotics which im already on so nothing more they can do. Unless at any point i cant swallow water or breath i just have to wait for it to clear :/

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but having had a series of really sore throats I've found by practice that topically applied baby ibuprofen syrup works wonders.

Get a bottle of syrup and a medicine syringe, fill the syringe and then lie down and get someone to apply a few drops of the syrup to the bits of your throat that look the most sore. Try to keep them there for as long as possible without swallowing, but if you have to swallow you can replace the drops as often as you need them.

This technique has worked for all sorts of sore throats, tooth extractions and the like, including being pushed into the cavity in a septic tonsil, and it works with an amazingly small dose of ibuprofen overall, so you can repeat it as often as necessary.

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but having had a series of really sore throats I've found by practice that topically applied baby ibuprofen syrup works wonders.

Get a bottle of syrup and a medicine syringe, fill the syringe and then lie down and get someone to apply a few drops of the syrup to the bits of your throat that look the most sore. Try to keep them there for as long as possible without swallowing, but if you have to swallow you can replace the drops as often as you need them.

This technique has worked for all sorts of sore throats, tooth extractions and the like, including being pushed into the cavity in a septic tonsil, and it works with an amazingly small dose of ibuprofen overall, so you can repeat it as often as necessary.

Thanks but its 5pm we dont drive and there is nowhere in walking distance which sells it :/

I was thinking Quincies until you said no tonsils. What about the old fashioned way of gargling with salt water.No harm in trying and it just might help a little. Hope you feel better soon anyway.

Archived