Living without TV

I don't have a TV and not had one for over 10 years as there is little being shown that I am interested in and it also saves me about £5.00 PW. It still doesn't stop the TV police from hassling me though and I have only just just received a letter from them which will be ignored as usual.

The only thing about TV that annoys me is people who have it on nearly all the time in the background and are not even watching it.

The only thing about TV that annoys me is people who have it on nearly all the time in the background and are not even watching it.

Some people use television for exactly that; background noise. I prefer music for that purpose; other people prefer to have no background noise at all.

Still pay the license fee as grandson likes to watch stuff when he comes, mind now he has his net-book he hardly watches any tv, he's 7.

I think there should be a serious rethink on what is broadcast, otherwise more and more people are going to stop watching it.

If it's a TV and can function as a TV you need a licence, if it's monitor you don't.

But I assume you already knew that.

It's de-tuned and not connected to an ariel. The folks at TV licencing said this is fine (I made a point of informing them I wasn't using a TV).

They said they'd have to come and check but they never did.

I've had the odd letter over the last few years reminding me to check if I now need a licence, but that's all.

I would prefer not to have tv reception, but we have as my wife and daughter like to watch it. It's a pity the government still insist that we must pay a license to the BBC when what we watch is on ITV or Sky. The BBC could easily encrypt their channels so you can only watch them if you want to subscribe to them.

I don't watch 'live' tv at all now- everything I do watch is off the Sky+ box. Not that I watch much on that - Match of the Day and some comedy things are on series link, but I usually end up deleting them without watching them.

Since I discovered last night that the iPlayer channel on the Wii actually works now (missed Would I Lie To You the other night because of a power cut) I will probably use Sky+ less.

The Information Pack or whatever it's called from Sky is awful - lots of Scrapheap Challenge and sharks and Nazis, not much information.

One day I'll get around to cancelling Sky and buying a Freesat recorder, and buying more Attenborough box sets with the money instead.

Archived