Living without TV

I just record everything I watch these days, using Virgin plus. Mainly because if I don't, I forget to watch them, plus it means I can zap through the annoying commercial breaks.

I watch a lot of TV - mainly detective series re-runs and comedy. I'd hate not to be able to watch QI, Have I Got News for You, Would I Lie to You, Armstrong and Miller, etc, etc, but I daresay I'd survive if I didn't have TV - I'd just have to buy DVDs instead. :hihi:

Oh, and the Beeb have been showing some interesting stuff about the Normans and archeology lately, I'm enjoying them, too.

I couldn't be without my TV. It is used for alot of entertainment types. I only watch broadcast TV before going to work in the mornings (difficult though as freeview is utter rubbish and doesn't work half the time). TV I watch is broadcast on USA tv stations, recorded by some very good folk, encoded and put up for download. Loads of great shows that never see the light of day on TV. No adverts either.

I do pay the TV licence (although I disagree with its existance). I dont have rupert-vision (sky) as I will not pay subscriptions to watch endless adverts, and just on princeaple that its rupert-vision. It is wrong sky gets all the new TV first, but thats an argument for another time.

All done on my HTPC, 5.1 surround which is also used as a music player... and my games consoles. All of which need the actual TV set.

And of course my DVDs and blu rays. All my downloaded shows are baught on DVD later when they are available at a decent price before anyone flames me over downloading...

I do pay the TV licence (although I disagree with its existance). I

It is wrong sky gets all the new TV first, but thats an argument for another time.

So you don't like the licence fee model of funding, but you also don't like the free market model of funding. So how would your ideal tv station be funded?

So you don't like the licence fee model of funding, but you also don't like the free market model of funding. So how would your ideal tv station be funded?

With sky, you pay a fee AND you have to see adverts. I would prefere a subscription OR adverts, not both. But that is the Rupert way, having his cake and eating it.

Personally I would like an on demand service that provides all the TV shows I like to watch through the internet or through set top box (or both). I would happily pay a monthly subscription to something along those lines. And shows must be available as soon as they are aired on USA TV. I demand it, therefor it will be available. Would be ace that. Get what ya pay for etc... unlike with sky and the bbc licence.

If people want something, and there is a way to get it.... they will. And for now persoanlly, that is downloading shows.

With sky, you pay a fee AND you have to see adverts. I would prefere a subscription OR adverts, not both. But that is the Rupert way, having his cake and eating it.

The problem with not showing adverts is three-fold.

Firstly you lose the advertising revenue, which means you have to charge people more to cover costs.

Secondly you have 25% more air time to fill with valuable content, which costs more, so you have to charge people even more money.

Thirdly, the higher the price goes, the fewer people there will be who are willing to pay it, so those that remain have to pay even more again.

The problem with not showing adverts is three-fold.

Firstly you lose the advertising revenue, which means you have to charge people more to cover costs.

Secondly you have 25% more air time to fill with valuable content, which costs more, so you have to charge people even more money.

Thirdly, the higher the price goes, the fewer people there will be who are willing to pay it, so those that remain have to pay even more again.

Bring back the Intermission, that's what I say. Not during Bangbabes though.

Archived