Government to scrap NHS Direct

Actually there are many walk in centres.

They are called doctors surgeries.

If you are really ill, you dont need an appointment to see the doc.

Get down to the surgery and he will see you.

And if its bad enough he will call an ambulance and get you straight in.

If you are really very ill get an ambulance or someone to take you to A&E and they will admit you straight away.

You will have the best treatment bar non.

This NHS, what a shambles eh?

I wasnt having a go at the NHS .....far from it.......I work for it lol.

A walk in centre means you see a nurse rather than a GP.

I completely agree.

New parents often need good advice and Grandparents often cannot be contacted.

NHS Direct is a good source, even for minor ailments, for everyone.

A calm steady voice with good advice makes the situation better all round.

Good thinking, and if its used sensibly its a great service. Unfortunately, its abused by people who think its a way to bypass the normal routes. My son has rung a couple of times about his young children - he found it reassuring and was able to wait til the next morning before taking the little one to the docs.

Our GP called an ambulance for my OH when I contacted them for advice - I'm sure NHS direct would have done the same if I'd rung them, as the symptoms were enough to alert them to serious problems - and he needed a heart op.

There are folks who will wait til their GP surgery is closed and ring up with fairly minor ailments insisting to be seen, and others who think ambulances are free taxis. Not the best use of the nurse advisors' time. What happened to respect for the medical services. :(

Makes me sound like an old fogey :o

I've never needed it, but it is probably very helpful for some.

If I need healthcare I'm most likely having trouble stopping the bleeding and then I got to hospital. If it' something minor but requires a hospital trip, I tend to hazard a guess when people are less likely to need the hospital and go then.

I wasn't having a go at the NHS .....far from it.......I work for it lol.

A walk in centre means you see a nurse rather than a GP.

So do I, so surely you can see why I am not eye to eye with any government at present.

Blair's catastrophe of PFI is causing more heartache and personal grief than people will ever know.

Actually there are many walk in centres.

They are called doctors surgeries.

Our local surgery, along with many others, will flatly refuse to see anyone who "just walks in" because they are not a walk-in service. The walk-in service is up at the Hallamshire, or via A&E for serious cases.

So do I, so surely you can see why I am not eye to eye with any government at present.

Blair's catastrophe of PFI is causing more heartache and personal grief than people will ever know.

I can, as people are worried about the Tories past performaces. But to me, this is a new type of goverment, and is there second chance.

PFI is a nightmare, it has tripled some new build costs within the NHS.

Our local surgery, along with many others, will flatly refuse to see anyone who "just walks in" because they are not a walk-in service. The walk-in service is up at the Hallamshire, or via A&E for serious cases.

The centre on Broad lane in the city centre, is now also a walk in centre.

I meant really if you are registered with them.

My doctors has about seven doctors and a team of sisters and auxilliaries.

If you ring first you can alway see someone, bit of a wait, but if urgent straight in.

They still put the sick person first in West Yorks. :)

I meant really if you are registered with them.

My doctors has about seven doctors and a team of sisters and auxilliaries.

If you ring first you can alway see someone, bit of a wait, but if urgent straight in.

They still put the sick person first in West Yorks. :)

They do in sheffield, as the place has fantastic facilites :)

My personal experience with NHS Direct has been when calling for advice with sick children.

Every time (3 or 4) they said someone would call back. Every time they had failed to do so within 30 to 40 minutes by which time we were on our way to The Childrens'.

Never bothered with them since.

Archived