Pyjama Jump - What memories do you have of it?

jackieb

well at least you made some cash then Frankie. I always went out and got ****** and had a good time as did most other students.

I loved all of the ones i went to and they should bring it back.

A lot of people had a good time, I'll admit that. But it was chaotic and I saw people getting hurt, we had far more incidents at The Rank on that night than any other. Some people went over the top and used it as an excuse for some really bad behaviour that wasn't in anybody's interests. But that was the '70's - maybe it was worse then. Btw I was in my early twenties then so quite sympathetic to people having a drink and a good time! :)

I also worked at the Top Rank about 81 and i remember the 'team talk' before the doors opened on PJ night, it was along the lines of "it's a student only night so nobody is going to get offended by what goes on" in other words we could ignore the debauchery to a large extent.

The plastic glasses were used, and i remember it used to take twice as long to get them all out at chucking out time because we would find students asleep all over the place, including under stacked tables in the store rooms.

We had an old pervy manager (bar manager i think) who used to go around taking photo's, he must have had some priceless pictures in his collection.

It was just a good laugh to me and less trouble than other nights as far as fighting goes, it was just a matter of protecting them from themselves.

Yeah, I think we were still using 'glass' glasses some of the time when I was there and there were people getting cut feet I recall but they were starting to bring plastic glasses in, also for the Sunday band nights.

I think non-students were getting in too for the PJ sessions I worked, so maybe that made it rougher. I do remember a lot of sleeping/p****d students at the end of the sessions!

Mid to late '70's I worked there on the sound and lighting. Great fun most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone living in Broomhill, Crookes and surrounding areas, it wasn't the sex or semi-nudity we objected to, but the wanton vandalism, windows smashed, car bonnets jumped on and severely dented, gates ripped off hinges - this was why it was stopped eventually.

I was at the Poly in the late 80's I remember ending up stark bollock naked except for a pair of trainers ...... long long story.

So I am stood at the bottom of London road hailing a taxi.

Taxi pulls up, Driver said "Got money"

"Yes in my shoe"

And here I am sat in the back of the taxi hand covering my tackle and the driver didn't bat an eyelid, Just another night for him.

• 1 year later...

Archived