Castleton caves

john65

Speedwell Cavern is the only one to have boats in the others you have to walk. Although the Blue John mine is very colourful, the best one is the Treak Cliffe Cavern.:)

Agree while speedwell gets the "headlines" Treak Cliffe is the most interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember going to probably that cavern in the 50's, just inside the small entrance was like a corridor on the right that ran into the main entrance of what took you into like a big dome with holes in the roof, I seem to think we called it the cathedral or something similar, it looked amazing when the sun shone through.
Somewhere I have a photo taken in the "cathedral" of the Old Tor Mine showing the sunlight streaming in through the holes in the roof, but I just found this other 1967 photo showing the upper (holes in the roof) entrances. I am at the upper left, sitting next to a sheer drop that goes straight down into the domed chamber, and my friend Stuart, at the right, has gone partly down another of the three "holes". As I mentioned in my post #15, the holes were filled in and a locked gate put on the entrance to the horizontal shaft, and to obtain access nowadays, application must be made in advance (I think to to English Nature).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been caving many times down giants hole, p8 and of course suicide pot, for giants you had to go and pay the farmer as the entrance is on his land, we used to take groups down following the stream that runs into it, there is also a chamber called the cathredal because of all the drapes that look like church organ pipes running down the walls, it is also the only cave in castleton where I have seen helictites. I have spent hundreds of hours underground in the caves of derbyshire.

If a young boy with very strong legs walked past Lodge Moor and Wymingbrook what is the ring of caves you came to, remember sleeping in them when on runaway from Fullwood Homes ,but its been 70yrs so a little hazy

Maybe Stanage Edge?.:)

well not only spent a few nights sleep in them but also gone visiting when i was 11 my brother was throwing rocks when poped out of the cave rock got me right between the eyes smashed my nose and looked like a racoon for a month:loopy::loopy:

Archived