Breast feeding in public

I breastfed all four of mine in a variety of fun locations, in church, in John Lewis' cafe, in the pub, on trains, on buses, in the park, on Win Hill. There were many more which I can't recall, but all of them were infinitely more pleasant for both of us than the toilets or the baby changing room, which both smell of poo. You do become more adept at doing it discretely, with practise. Also you learn that you can't fit you, the baby, the pushchair, and a toddler in the changing room for more than a quick nappy change. And have you ever seen the queue in a ladies toilet or the queue for the baby changing room? It really is a no-brainer for me -tits out!

How does he know 'some men' would find it threatening? to me this is typical of the way these coments are used to appear superior.

They would only seem to appear superior if your intellect was inferior...in your case that's very understandable.:D

I breastfed all four of mine in a variety of fun locations, in church, in John Lewis' cafe, in the pub, on trains, on buses, in the park, on Win Hill. There were many more which I can't recall, but all of them were infinitely more pleasant for both of us than the toilets or the baby changing room, which both smell of poo. You do become more adept at doing it discretely, with practise. Also you learn that you can't fit you, the baby, the pushchair, and a toddler in the changing room for more than a quick nappy change. And have you ever seen the queue in a ladies toilet or the queue for the baby changing room? It really is a no-brainer for me -tits out!

Post smoking ban, of course?

I am breastfeeding my daughter who is nearly 5 months old and have to admit that it is only recently that I have breastfed in a cafe (Debenhams). I was so paranoid that I would be flashing at everyone that I always (and sometimes still do) feed hernon the baby changing room and have on occasions fed her in a toilet. Must say reading this thread that I am really annoyed with myself for feeding her in a toilet, but at the time thought I was doing the "right" thing. Must admit that I also think my mum is more embarrassed than me when I have fed my daughter in a cafe when she is there as she passes me a blanket to put over my shoulder! Last time she did that I had to tell her to wait a minute as she wasn't latched on properly and I couldn't see a blinkin thing because of the blanket :-) I am really nervous that anyone is going to say something to me if I breastfeed in public, even though I know most wouldn't. Also, I have loved breastfeeding my daughter so much and I shouldn't give a damn! But, I do. I take my daughter to a breastfeeding cafe and I wish I was like the majority who feed their baby anywhere.

I am really nervous that anyone is going to say something to me if I breastfeed in public, even though I know most wouldn't. Also, I have loved breastfeeding my daughter so much and I shouldn't give a damn! But, I do. I take my daughter to a breastfeeding cafe and I wish I was like the majority who feed their baby anywhere.
It really does help having an outfit that will allow you to feed discretely, and do up easily again with one hand! That's the thing I've had most trouble with though. It's one thing finding a shirt that the buttons aren't too fiddly on, but my 8/10 shoulders are swamped by the 12/14 chest size I have to wear at the moment. When are retailers going to see the necessity (and the greater potential in this market than for maternity wear!)

• 11 months later...

There are posters popping up saying "thanks for leaving us to it" with a woman breastfeeding her baby in a public area (for example at a bus stop) and in the picture is a very tolerant man who is standing nearby while the woman does the deed.

So what is the ettiquette here? let me give an example.

I went to costa coffee to read my paper and have a coffee, and 2 tables away, up pops a woman and her baby, no problems so far. She is around 8 feet away from me, and because I am reading the paper and drinking coffee my head is up and down (ie, not always looking down at the paper).

Anyway, out pops her breast.

Now it is impossible for me to drink my coffee with my head down, I have to look up in order to take a glup, and when I did that the woman looked at me as if to say "stop looking you pervert".

I took the option to sit somewhere else, because I felt as though I was being viewed as a pervert. I couldn't keep my head bowed down looking at the paper as I had to drink the coffee.

I accept that you get used to your wife or girlfriends chest, but as a man you will take a look - probably, if a man took his penis out - most people would have a quick look, its natural

There are posters popping up saying "thanks for leaving us to it" with a woman breastfeeding her baby in a public area (for example at a bus stop) and in the picture is a very tolerant man who is standing nearby while the woman does the deed.

So what is the ettiquette here? let me give an example.

I went to costa coffee to read my paper and have a coffee, and 2 tables away, up pops a woman and her baby, no problems so far. She is around 8 feet away from me, and because I am reading the paper and drinking coffee my head is up and down (ie, not always looking down at the paper).

Anyway, out pops her breast.

Now it is impossible for me to drink my coffee with my head down, I have to look up in order to take a glup, and when I did that the woman looked at me as if to say "stop looking you pervert".

I took the option to sit somewhere else, because I felt as though I was being viewed as a pervert. I couldn't keep my head bowed down looking at the paper as I had to drink the coffee.

I accept that you get used to your wife or girlfriends chest, but as a man you will take a look - probably, if a man took his penis out - most people would have a quick look, its natural

Balls!!

A baby latches onto a breast and no one notices unless the mother makes a performance out of it, a shirt button undone, a nursing bra zipped open and the baby sucks, a small scarf or pashmina covers the child and the baby has it's meal, while it's mum drinks her coffee. You are talking bllocks love-rat, and you know it. I'm sure most husbands/boyfriend don't spend 24 hours gazing at their wifes/girlfriends tits like you suggest anyway. If a bloke get's his penis out in a cafe the police would be called especially if like you, you suggest you are trying to feed a baby with it:gag::help:

Archived