Breast feeding in public

remember exact same when our little one was feeding as well..........wonder how some people can be like that over a natural act.

I think its totally grim to watch, although I realise thats my issue. You need a better argument though when you consider other natural acts! many of which we probably shouldnt mention on a forum so I will go with "pooing is also a natural act!"

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I once watched a woman nursing her baby in the middle of a crowded ski resort cafeteria. No one said a word, but after a couple minutes, a man sitting nearby with several preteen boys moved everyone to a table outside, and I don't blame him. They had stopped eating and were staring. Not polite, but they were kids. Whattya gonna do?

I nursed both of my children and while I much preferred to be at home, when you are your child's only source of nourishment, that isn't always possible. If I couldn't get to the car or a separate room, then I always had a light baby blanket to cover both of us. I don't like seeing moms and babies banished to restrooms either, that's terrible. Bring a light blanket. 99% of people won't even notice you. If they still stare? Then that's their problem.

My bold

Teach the little bleeders some manners????

I'm sure the boys are going to come across other people that don't fit into their perception of the norm, like people with disabilities or mental health issues, and they need to be taught that it's rude to stare.

Women, and their obvious physical attributes are portrayed in the media, not as baby-feeding machines, but as sexual accoutrements. It is, therefore, not unnatural for teenage boys to gawp at a woman's breast in lust if it is presented right in front of their faces, no matter how it is being used!!!!!

I think its totally grim to watch, although I realise thats my issue.

I think it's a beautiful act. But if you're going to watch, I agree that's totally grim. There are probably plenty of Internet sites where you can do this in the privacy of your own home. :hihi:

You need a better argument though when you consider other natural acts! many of which we probably shouldnt mention on a forum so I will go with "pooing is also a natural act!"

"It's natural" is a bad argument I agree, since there are plenty of things which are "natural" but are also unnecessary, and offensive to the majority.

Breast feeding is natural, beautiful, necessary and unoffensive to the majority of people.

However, because most women are self-conscious, and/or respect the sensitivities of the minority that might tut, I have never known my wife or any of my female friends whip their breasts out like they are WMDs. I have only ever noticed mothers breast feeding in a modest fashion, so find it difficult to understand what there is to be offended about. :huh:

I think it's a beautiful act. But if you're going to watch, I agree that's totally grim. There are probably plenty of Internet sites where you can do this in the privacy of your own home. :hihi:

"It's natural" is a bad argument I agree, since there are plenty of things which are "natural" but are also unnecessary, and offensive to the majority.

Breast feeding is natural, beautiful, necessary and unoffensive to the majority of people.

However, because most women are self-conscious, and/or respect the sensitivities of the minority that might tut, I have never known my wife or any of my female friends whip their breasts out like they are WMDs. I have only ever noticed mothers breast feeding in a modest fashion, so find it difficult to understand what there is to be offended about. :huh:

Im not offended I think its gross, as is giving birth and doing a poo!

I breastfed both my children, whenever, wherever and in front of whoever.

As a breastfeeding mother, feeding my child was more important than getting funny looks (of which I got none), tuts (of which I got none) and stares (of which I got none).

I personally find some people's table manners far more offensive than I would seeing someone breastfeed. After all, what do you actually see? There is no nipple on show, most women are very discreet, is it just the fact that it's being done in public that's offensive?

I breastfed both my children, whenever, wherever and in front of whoever.

As a breastfeeding mother, feeding my child was more important than getting funny looks (of which I got none), tuts (of which I got none) and stares (of which I got none).

I personally find some people's table manners far more offensive than I would seeing someone breastfeed. After all, what do you actually see? There is no nipple on show, most women are very discreet, is it just the fact that it's being done in public that's offensive?

Well said.

After many years of solid researching (at the risk of some neck craning injuries) I can conclude that you have more chance of seeing a nipple in the Daily Express* than you have from breastfeeding ladies. :hihi:

* Hat tip to John Cooper Clarke (pbuh)

Archived