Uninsured motorists -are you one?

You got quoted £2500 for a £300 car where do you live? Beiruit?

happened to me 20 years ago..........so does happen

i have insurance...no mot at the mo....cant afford it, so not using the car until i get it done.. simples.

never ever have driven without ins or mot.........years ago without tax often (i mean a week or so over) but that was well over 10 years ago.

I've never knowingly driven without insurance, but I have driven uninsured. First time was when I had my first new-ish car - I assumed when it needed it's first MOT they'd send me a letter like they do for road tax. They don't - and because it never occurred to me to check I drove it insured and taxed but with no MOT for about three months. I reckon that even though I'd paid for insurance they wouldn't have paid out it I'd needed it.

My insurance (10 years no claim, married, parent, mid-30's, driving 17 years, sensible family cars) never seems to get below about £350. My first car cost £342 third party, and my current car cost £360 full comp. I think the most I've paid is about £600.

The nature of insurance is that the low risk people pay for the accidents of the high risk people - if the premium was perfectly calculated according to risk then I would have paid nothing all these years but those who have had accidents would have paid thousands per year. It can't work that way because they'd make no money from me, an the high risk people would just not bother getting insurance.

Oh, hang on, that is what happens, apart from the bit where my insurance is cheap ...

You don't seriously think anyone is going to come on here and say they drive with no insurance do you ?

That's like worse than aggravated burglary now a days with the police.

I would sooner stick my hand up to street robbery on here than say Im not insured, I bet they monitor the internet for stuff like that now.

Good, I'm not insured.

I don't know why people pay extortionate insurance rates. I just drive carefully and make sure I always carry £200+ cash with me at all times. That's my insurance. In the last 10 years driving I've just had two bumps, one of which wasn't even my fault, and on each occasion I have just pretended that I don't speak English and waved the £200 under the nose of the other driver. Works a treat, and saved me £5k+ I reckon.

I have insurance, doesn't mean I would ever claim on it though. If I hit someone and it was my fault I would pay out whatever costs are incurred. If my car is stolen I will report it to the Police, but I won't claim on insurance. Pointless as my premium would rocket.

My Brother has his car stolen a year ago, he had to claim on insurance as he was still paying finance on it. His insurance was £450 fully comp on a 1.8 petrol Focus before the claim, he is now paying £1,750 fully comp on a 1.6 petrol, It's ridiculous.

I have insurance, doesn't mean I would ever claim on it though. If I hit someone and it was my fault I would pay out whatever costs are incurred. If my car is stolen I will report it to the Police, but I won't claim on insurance. Pointless as my premium would rocket.

I don' think you mean this. What if, for example, you drove in to the back of a Ferrari and caused whiplash injuries to the occupants? You'd just find £60k rather than accept higher insurance premiums for a few years?

Archived