Are Chinese Buffets any Good?

slimsid2000

Originally posted by neeeeeeeeeek

Depends what you like eating. If you want to stuff your face with crap MSG laiden food then chinese buffet's are the way forward! If your the sort of person who eats crap most of the time then you will probably think the food is very good. It's better than a pot noodle anyway.

Surely even a dead rat is better than a pot noodle??

Is this MSG stuff really bad for you? (slight hi-jacking of the thread :D ) I always have a really bad headache after eating chinese (and maccy d's actually) I think I'm allergic to tasty food :D

Me and some mates went to WokMania on Friday evening.

The setting was a lot nicer than Jumbo - lots more space and generally seemed bigger and a more plush.

The choice of food seemed quite a lot smaller than Jumbo though. The dishes seemed similar to what you might find at Jumbo with their "lunch" menu - they did serve duck though. I would make a guess and say that they seemed to have around 30-50% fewer dishes.

Given that it was only the second night I might cut them some slack and go again to try it, but we paid 8.99 for it and I certainly wouldn't say it was as good as Jumbo on that visit.

Originally posted by Kristian

Wow, how many folk have mentioned being poorly after going to a Chinese buffet? I am ill every time without fail that I go to either Jumbo or No 1! I thought it was just me!

There's no wonder really, the food is sat around under heat lamps for ages etc also perfect for people to cough/sneeze on.

Plus it wouldn't suprise me if the stuff that wasn't eaten just got re-heated the next day.

Personally ive only been to 1 chinese buffet and that was in birmingham.

Is this MSG stuff really bad for you? (slight hi-jacking of the thread ) I always have a really bad headache after eating chinese (and maccy d's actually) I think I'm allergic to tasty food

It's not very nice stuff!

http://www.msgmyth.com/

Any in case that does not traumatise you, check this out!

http://www.notoriousmsg.com/

:D

Let me tell you a story:

I went to a chinese buffet (lau's in durham) with my parents for my 24th birthday. It tasted nice. The next day I got on a flight to cyprus for my holidays. This was fine because the salmonella bacteria that had lodged in my gut have at least a 24 hour incubation period so I felt fine till I arrived on my holiday. I spent two days of my holiday in hospital with unimaginable things happening to my bowels. The rest I spent feeling rather ill and not really being able to get much further than the toilet.

This annoyed me a lot.

I got home and discovered that I was not the only one, 120 people had received the same poisoning from the same restaurant. Obviously with such overwhelming evidence against the restaurant we all filed lawsuits demanding compensation. This took while to come through but when it did I received nearly 5000 quid.

So the answer is, YES eat at chinese buffets all the time you might get lucky! :D 5000 is a lot of money for a little bit of suffering...

Originally posted by TimmyR

I got home and discovered that I was not the only one, 120 people had received the same poisoning from the same restaurant. Obviously with such overwhelming evidence against the restaurant we all filed lawsuits demanding compensation. This took while to come through but when it did I received nearly 5000 quid.

So the answer is, YES eat at chinese buffets all the time you might get lucky! :D 5000 is a lot of money for a little bit of suffering...

What did you order?

What's the address?

and when is the next bus?

seriously though rice dishes can be very dodgy, certain bacteria love it and heat doesn't kill the bacteria, i can't be more specific, i read it somewhere a while ago but i think it is cooked rice allowed to stand which is the culprit.

Archived