Are Chinese Buffets any Good?

slimsid2000

Originally posted by 40summat

What did you order?

What's the address?

and when is the next bus?

seriously though rice dishes can be very dodgy, certain bacteria love it and heat doesn't kill the bacteria, i can't be more specific, i read it somewhere a while ago but i think it is cooked rice allowed to stand which is the culprit.

fried rice is generally made from yesterdays boiled rice though, has been for centuries. And it doesn't generally make us ill, so there must be more too it than that.

I've had fried rice the same way all my life without problem, but you can read a Centers for Disease Control report here which says:

Fried rice is a leading cause of 1B. cereus emetic-type food poisoning in the United States (1,4). B. cereus is frequently present in uncooked rice, and heat-resistant spores may survive cooking. If cooked rice is subsequently held at room temperature, vegetative forms multiply, and heat-stable toxin is produced that can survive brief heating, such as stir frying (4). In the outbreak described in this report, vegetative forms of the organism probably multiplied at the restaurant and the day care centers while the rice was held at room temperature.

I think that the key words are "can survive brief heating".

The longer that you fry your rice, the safer it should be!

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to Jumbo's for the second time.

Large selection of dishes, food was very tasty. Menu said it charged for a jug of water (£3.00) but when the bill actually came, no charges were made for the water.

All in all, very nice and exceptional value for money. Definitely be visting again.

Walked past 'Wokmania' last night and there was a HUGE queue to get in! Is it not just a glorified bargin basement all you can eat buffet but its just placed in the 'trendy' district with a bit of laminate flooring and neon lights?

go to York. i know a bit far but theres a gorgeous chinese buffet place there i forget where it is but its near the train station and its all you can eat for 6.99 which is pretty gud. even comes with a sweet after!!

mmmmm................:D

Archived