A Piece of off-beat Sheffield History

Fareast

Originally posted by oldrowley

Very interesting thread chaps.

There's an entertaining site on the subject of hangings and hangmen at http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/hanged1.html

I've just been reading a fasinating book on the last hangmen in Britain (and yes pierrepoint features prominently).

There were reports of local murders (including rotherham , swinton, mexborough etc) in the book, it made captivating reading. I will find the title of the book and post it, in case anyone else would want to obtain it.

PT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Fareast — Your thread mentions Harry Wong’s Chinese Laundry on Ecclesall Road. I wonder, did you know his son Man Gee Wong who went to Hunter’s Bar Council School during the second world war? I’ve appealed for any knowledge of his whereabouts but so far drawn a blank. He may of course be dead. I’m 76 myself!

I walked home at dinner-times with Man Gee and there were always half a dozen Chinese women ironing clothes on a big table. In the centre there was a large bowl of water which they’d sprinkle over shirts etc. before ironing them with huge irons which were kept hot on the fire!

If the Chinese went into the laundry business today I’d be among the first to give them my custom.

PeterW.

Sorry , don't recall seeing the son at the shop. All I can [ barely ! ] remember is going to a sort of hatch , just inside the shop and handing in the ticket .......etc......We are from a slightly different " era " though , as I'm just a sprightly youngster of 64 !!

• 3 weeks later...

New Territories villages in Hong Kong usually have their have their own unwritten rules and regulations, where you can park your car without upsetting anyone etc.

'Gwailos'- Europeans are tolerated if not exactly welcomed, but they have to abide by the local 'etiquette' for want of a better word. There is usually some old guy whose family has lived there since the year dot who is regarded as the head man.

So when I moved to Lung Mei Village about 15 years ago I thought I would ingratiate myself with someone of importance in order to avoid rubbing any of my neighbours up the wrong way as they can be quite vindictive at times.

So when I spotted this dignified, elderly chap surrounded by a gaggle of kids and who seemed to carry an air of authority about him I thought 'ha ha, this is the boss man'.

So I went over and politely asked him how long he had lived in the village, I even tried some of my best Cantonese on him.

He replied:

Ee lad, I don't live ere, I run a chip shop in Sheffield.

A book, "The Sheffield Murders 1865-1965" by David Bentley covers this murder and many others including Charlie Peace and the Fowlers(Sheffield gang war fame). A fascinating read for those interested in Sheffield history. There is also an earlier book called "The Sheffield Hanged 1750-1864" which is equally a good read.

Hope this helps.

The references to Harry Wong's Chinese Laundry on Ecclesall Road are very interesting as my mother used to take her father's white collars there around the time of WW I. She used to tell me how frightened she was because they just opend a little window in th edoor to pass out the laundrey and the face behind it had a moustache and wore a pitail. Even more frightening to a young girl was the fact that they did not speak English. Resding the thread I would think that this would be the grandfather or great-grandfather of the Wong family currently referred to. For a timescale she died in 2003 aged 98!

Galena ,

Really interesting piece of information . Obviously I had no idea when I used to go to Harry Wongs that the place had been there so long .

I wouldn't mind betting that my father probably knew your grandmother ! He was born about 1899 almost opposite Harry Wong's . Later in life he lived elsewhere in Sheffield but returned to the area in 1949 . Co-incidentally , my mother was born in 1905 but was not a Hunter's Bar local -------born in Rotherham.

As I said , I used to go to Harry Wong's on errands between 1949 and 1953 . Did your grandmother used to mention the allotments where the Tesco precinct now stands ? That was another errand -------fetching fresh mint [ about 3 old pence ? ] from a man there on Sunday mornings , ready for the roast lamb and two-way family favourites ! Fond memories------when murders were a major event !

It would be very interesting to find out [ anybody ? ] when Chinese people first settled in Sheffield .I bet when they first saw Victorian Sheffield they probably thought they were on the edge of a volcano , with all the smoke and the smell of sulphur .

Archived