Drugs - your views?

Originally posted by nommedenet

If I recall correctly the LD50/ED50 for alcohol is extremely low - something like 1:3. (I bottle of whisky (say) would get you very smashed 3 bottles would kill you). It's sufficently low that if alcohol was invented today there is no way it would be legalised.

Nomme

Yup - but since it's been around a while and it's taxed the government are more than happy to let people keep drinking it :rolleyes:

Well of course it is taxed!

Alcohol and Tobacco cost our National Health Service a massive fortune

Heart disease, liver failure, lung cancer, hepatitis, kidney failure, obesity....all sorts of things have to be treated

Of course the purveyors and users of alcohol and tobacco should pay through the nose, it is to offset the costs they will incur at a later date

Makes sense to me (and I use both drugs)

Yes but the point is that the government reckon they have our best interests at heart they prevent us from taking 'illegal' drugs as they are dangerous. Alcohol is far more toxic than many 'illegal' drugs, do they ban us from taking it? No because it is taxed and they make one hell of a tidy sum from it. People are going to take drugs whatever the law says so why not allow people the choice with making them all legal and taxing them? You cut the crime rate drastically (someone who smokes the odd joint or does the odd pill is no longer breaking the law) and people don't have to worry about their drugs being cut with anything else as the supply could be controlled.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

People are going to take drugs whatever the law says so why not allow people the choice by making them all legal and taxing them?

I think we have had this discussion before, but there is merit in what you say, certainly.

It would be beneficial to the crime figures which is why most people fancy the idea, and fantastically good for the economy.

The real reason it hasnt happened is because the Home Secretary who suggested it, and his Party, would lose the next General Election because voters on the "right" of the spectrum would never countenance it.

For many voters, taking drugs is a very serious terrible awful thing to do, and not just because it is illegal

A bit of a dichotomy really (or however you spell it), democracy isnt always the best way because it depends on popular opinion, and frankly, it is often over-rated. It was popular opinion that kept Cilla Black on TV for so long for instance, I rest my case

;)

It does seem though that more and more of the country are realising that the current drugs policy is absolutely ridiculous. Take the reclassification of cannabis for example - all the polls I have seen have been in favour of this move. 20 years ago I very much doubt that would have been the case.

As for people who think all drugs are 'wrong' illegal or not really need to educate themselves more. There aren't many people I know (probably none to be honest) that don't consume some type of drug every day of their lives...

Good point! I could make my opinions known, but they've already been covered above, i feel - Most things aren't that bad if dealt with with properly, knowledgeably, and in moderation; and they should legalise everything, so that it can be controlled, classified, taxed and purified!!!

Then if people want to 'harm' themselves it's up to them, and it won't be from all the 'filler' material dealers put in things to increase profits (i.e. cat litter, paracetamol, laxatives, chalk dust, etc...)

:thumbsup:

Archived