Would you boycott petrol stations?

Would you boycott a petrol station?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott a petrol station?

• Yes I would boycott a petrol station
    • No I would not boycott a petrol station

Yes but why should we in Sheffield pay 3p a litre more than other towns? Don't forget it is going up approx 3p a litre after xmas when vat rises, thats before the companies put more on to cover their fuel costs to deliver it.

That's capitalism for you. Still, people wanted it.

Well thankyou for that comment perhaps you would like to elaborate on why it is a stupid idea. :rolleyes:Perhaps you have that much money you don't mind paying over the odds, as for changing my lifestyle I drive an economical car and drive over 320 miles a week commuting to work.

In which case, you must be able to find a more economical place to refuel. Especially as you've done the decent thing and found a more economical/environmentally friendly vehicle :)

I have been avoiding Esso since I noticed that they charge 50p for air.

Charging anything is out of order, but that is beyond the pale.

I have wondered about starting the Campaign for Free Air...

what about the electric or the fuel for a generator to pump the air? that costs them so in effect the air is not free to supply but do agree 50p is steep when most charge 20p

In which case, you must be able to find a more economical place to refuel. Especially as you've done the decent thing and found a more economical/environmentally friendly vehicle :)

The main problem is Asda seem to have a set fuel price across all their fuel stations, but Morrisons have differing prices across their petrol stations even though they are still paying the same wholesale price for the fuel. Morrisons reason for this when i asked was: Market Area. I replied sorry but no, you buy the fuel from the same supplier, so you can sell it at the same price at all your outlets, you are just ripping the motorist off. Response was No Reply.

The main problem is Asda seem to have a set fuel price across all their fuel stations, but Morrisons have differing prices across their petrol stations even though they are still paying the same wholesale price for the fuel. Morrisons reason for this when i asked was: Market Area. I replied sorry but no, you buy the fuel from the same supplier, so you can sell it at the same price at all your outlets, you are just ripping the motorist off. Response was No Reply.

Given that you completely ignored their answer, you can hardly be surprised that they didn't bother to give it to you again.

As the title says would you boycott petrol stations, I am fed up of being ripped off with prices in Sheffield. Barnsley unleaded is 110.9, cheapest I can find in Sheffield is Sainsburys Meadowhall 112.9 and at Morrisons Catcliffe it was 113.9 today. Do people think if we started to boycott certain stations they might give us petrol the same price as other areas?

The companies are out to make money. They charge what they know people will pay. The petrol stations are also only in competition with the closest 3 or 4 others stations to them. They dont have to compete with other towns or even other areas of the city.

Petrol companies could quite easily put prices up to £2 a litre nationwide and people would still buy it.

I also struggle to understand how people complain about petrol prices when it's cheaper than bottled water. How mug do you think it costs to drill, pipe it l, transport it, and refine it ready to go in cars?

I have been avoiding Esso since I noticed that they charge 50p for air.

Charging anything is out of order, but that is beyond the pale.

I have wondered about starting the Campaign for Free Air...

its not esso that charge for air. the air pumps are operated and maintained by a company called air serve. they take the money and pay for the upkeep of the equipment/water bill etc.

i think 50p aint bad tbh. some of the free ones are shocking to use.

the last free one i tried to use you could barely read the mechanical psi guage, it was all misted up with condensation. so i gave up and drove to the bp garage and paid my 50p for something more reliable that would do the (pretty important) job properly.

i have since bought my own air pump that plugs into my car. i can check its done the job using a tyre pressure reader. altogther cost me about £50 but means i dont have to make a trip just to do my tyres.

Many petrol stations are franchises, even the branded ones, that make little if any profit from their petrol and diesel sales. The business model for them is to make money on the impulse purchases that people buy when filling up, because of this petrol stations are going out of business in high numbers leading to the smallest amount of petrol stations since the beginning of the 20th century.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

How many petrol stations were there in 1901?.:roll:.

Archived