William Hague's special advisor resigns

The heart of this is whether bloggers should be devoid of regulation. If the press print blatant lies, they can be took to task by the PCC and made to print an apology etc. Bloggers can write what they like without fear of those repercussions.

I'd have though the registrar of any website could be sued for slander/defamation or whatever for content on their site, don't know why Hague doesn't do that, sue the bar stewards.

That's because you are so right wing Ron. Anything which doesn't chime with your jaundiced view on things is always going to sound left wing.

If the Beeb was so biased why then is Nick Robinson their chief political correspondent, who succeeded another Tory, Mark Mardell?

Spot on

Ironic that this discussion should happen on a day when the Condem government summoned Mark Thompson, the DG of the BBC to 'discuss' how the BBC should report the spending cuts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/03/bbc-spending-cuts-mark-thompson

And for the Tory trolls out there, no such meetings took place between the last Government and the Beeb. This was indeed confirmed by the impeccabe Conservative mouthpiece Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7978695/Mark-Thompson-BBC-chief-talks-to-No-10-about-selling-the-cuts.html

The heart of this is whether bloggers should be devoid of regulation. If the press print blatant lies, they can be took to task by the PCC and made to print an apology etc. Bloggers can write what they like without fear of those repercussions.

I'd have though the registrar of any website could be sued for slander/defamation or whatever for content on their site, don't know why Hague doesn't do that, sue the bar stewards.

A blog is an opinion......the press should be about what "actually happen" and about "news". The lines have become crossed, as you now have the press given there opinions in blogs. You have Amercian bloggers influencing a films rating.

What needs to happen is to ban all the press from having a blog.

You've tried to imply that this whole smear is a Labour party thing, why else would you have provided a link to a photo of Peter Mandelson?

What else were you trying to imply with your link? Where is your evidence?

Go and read the post that has you so exercised again. Honestly, if you are going to have a go then at least give yourself a chance.

I never thought he was above anything

Ooo, get you! Maud, we've got a live one 'ere, get the cold flannel.

What a surprise this news was released on the same day as the issues with the Blair book and his problems with Gordon Brown. Trying to deflect the issue much?

Hague is a very down-to-earth character who treats his assistants on a level pegging, and more as a mate than a boss and assistant relationship. That's the impression I got when I spent a day with them a year or so ago.

You're not biased then. :hihi:

You've tried to imply that this whole smear is a Labour party thing, why else would you have provided a link to a photo of Peter Mandelson?

What else were you trying to imply with your link? Where is your evidence?

He doesn't have any.... the fact it was broken in the homophobic Guido Fawkes blog and by his friends in the right wing press like the Mail and the Telegraph all circumstantial.... all defensible as press freedom.

But like David Icke blames lizard men despite all the evidence Tony will always blame Labour.

In that case he is wrong. Thatcher was reviled in her first term by almost everyone (until her little war), what he is reporting as a biassed BBC stance is infact evidence of the opposite. If I recall her main claim of BBC bias was them allowing a member of the public to ask her why she approved the sinking of the Belgrano outside the exclusion zone and whilst it was traveling away from the Falklands..... for which the BBC was blamed for bias :rolleyes: )

Thatcher was far right compared with Edward Heath, he hated her as much as anyone else did. If the BBC had not had problems reporting her, during that period, it would be evidence of bias.

Archived